This week

>> Wednesday, February 24, 2010

This last week I have been working away at my 2010 intention of not wasting...

I have been meticulously composting.  It's amazing how much we have to compost.  All those winter soups and stews have yielded a lot of scrap veggies.  Not to mention breakfast smoothie fruit scraps.  I'm looking forward to all the gorgeous soil the composter will yield so I can smother my garden with it.  I have already pulled out my gardening books and flower books and I am planning for warmer weather.

Loving this cake.  Thanks Larissa for the link.  It tastes good and has fruit and yogurt in the ingredients.  Nothing like feeling virtuous while you are scarfing down bread sprinkled with powdered sugar.


Made a turkey dinner for my husband's birthday.  Thanksgiving is his favorite meal and so the last few years I have cooked up a Turkey dinner on his birthday complete with stuffing, potatoes, gravy and green beans.  With the leftovers I make pasties to freeze and they are the perfect quickie meal.  A Thanksgiving dinner all wrapped up in a crispy pastry crust.  We had friends over to celebrate, a gazillion kids, and a surprise snowstorm to boot.  All in all a good weekend.


And casting on for another sweater for my daughter.  I don't want to waste any of this time while my kids are little and love wearing anything I knit.  I had some bulky wool and this sweater is one I have had my eye on for awhile now.  Hopefully I'll finish it up this week.

How is your week going?

16 comments:

Thea February 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

It all looks good -- nothing beats stuffing and turkey - anytime in the year!

Jessica February 24, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

I do love that intention of yours to not waste. I do want to make that cake it looks so tasty!

larissa February 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

so glad you enjoyed the cake - i've made it six times in the last several weeks. a turkey dinner sounds wonderful this time of year when it's cold and snowy - sounds like you had a great celebration. love the purple jacket you're knitting for your girlie - can't wait to see her in it!

ColorSlut February 25, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

I've been working on not wasting as well for the past couple of months. It is strange how much we do waste when not thinking about it!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: February 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

That cake does look wonderful!!! As does your turkey dinner - yum yum.

Great idea to compost. My parents have always done that. Me, not so much. I would love to have the time to garden more, though!

Lovely choice for a new project ~ enjoy!

stitching under oaks February 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

the thoughts of gardening and planning for spring are on my mind also. that cake looks wonderful.

Yarnhog February 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

Now I'm hungry.

I started composting this winter, too. I love to garden and I always buy compost when I plant. I figured, why put all those fruit and veggie scraps in the garbage dump where there are no plants to enjoy it? So far, though, no success; just a pile of rotting vegetables and fall leaves. I'm hoping warm weather will get things moving. At least I have a closed composter (recycled from my mom's house) so I don't have to look at the mess.

Lia February 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

You are inspiring me to start some knitting projects for my girls.

Unknown February 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

Good for you on everything! We used to compost, but the chickens were eating it all. Now we just feed it to the chickens. You have to knit for them now, in 10 years they might not want them.

Kristyn Knits March 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

your recipes look delicious! I tried the bread this weekend...so wonderful!!
I can't wait to see your new sweater! happy knitting!!

Ally Jay March 4, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

Very sweet sweater

Heather March 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

Looks busy but perfect. I especially love the composting pile. Have a great week

UK lass in US March 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

I wish I had knit for my kids when they were babies, when they were small enough that I might have stood a chance of finishing a project...

Charity March 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

I think I'm going to have to try that cake recipe, it sounds delicious! Love the new purple knit. :o)

Jane March 20, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

I have yet to make that cake...it's on my list! My boys are just coming back to my knits. they have both requested a sweater from me.

Renee March 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM  

What a great post! Loving all of it... now I'm hungry too.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP