Food Revolution

>> Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hello all!  Happy first day of April.  Trying to get over and check in with everyone has been tough.  So many projects and so little time.  I'm currently finishing up two projects for my kids for Easter.  I don't know what the matter is with me...I loathe deadline crafting.  Especially deadline crafting that must be hidden and knit in secret....  I'll share when they are finished.

I just wanted to pop in this space and pass on the link to Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution petition.  I'm sure you all have heard of the tv show that is airing right now but if you haven't, click on the link to get more information.  My daughter will be heading off to the big bad public school system this fall and as a result I am getting more and more involved in what goes on at said public school.  She will be brown bagging it for lunches I'm sure (she's incredibly picky) but it is appalling what is offered up as 'lunch' to kids in the school system.  I think most of you would agree that nutrition plays a major role in our health and that for kids to learn and grow and soak up knowledge they need more in their stomach than a questionable meat and something that resembles corn in color but little else.  I signed the petition and I hope it makes a difference.  Sorry for the soapbox gripe but sometimes things just spill over :)


10 comments:

amy April 1, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

I caught just a bit of that the other night while I was flipping channels, trying to nurse the girl to sleep. (I usually read, but I've been trapped in the house for way too long and haven't gotten to the library and now all routes there are washed out.) I was amused by his reaction to the fact that the kids weren't served food that required forks and knives. I think the company that provides hot lunch at my kids' school is fairly decent--they go to a charter school, so the school can pick the food service company independently of the district--but I have never served my kids beef (I am not confident in the US beef industry), my oldest can't have too much dairy, and most of the options are either heavy on the cheese or include beef. My younger son, we discovered, does far better with no gluten in his diet. He hasn't complained of a stomach ache in weeks. So the hot lunch is never going to be an option for us. And did I mention the school is a no-nut and no-tree-nut school? Packing lunches with these restrictions can be a nightmare.

I think Jaimie Oliver is wonderfully idealistic, though.

Amy J April 1, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

I'm with you...my daughter starts school this fall, and we're "lucky" that she's picky too...the hot lunches consist of a lot of "fast food" choices, so we'll be joining the brown bag gang.

Thea April 1, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Mine's not picky and we brown bag every day!

Kate (KnitsInClass) April 1, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

Our hot lunch options aren't too bad - I've been impressed that Noah seems to make pretty good choices. However, I know this isn't the case everywhere.

Chris April 2, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

I love Jamie Oliver! I haven't seen the show yet, but I caught a lecture he gave about his mission on Youtube a few weeks ago. I bought his "Jamie's Dinners" family cookbook, too, and it's really great. My kids take their lunches to school and the occasional lunch the parent council organizes is very nutritious, so I can't complain at all, but I am totally behind what he is talking about.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: April 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

I've been a big fan of Jamie Oliver for years. He has a great attitude about food and cooking.

I brown bagged it all through grade school. My Mom always put in a sandwich (brown bread); apple; and either a couple of cookies or a piece of a Cadbury chocolate bar. To this day I love Cadbury fruit and nut chocolate bars!

stitching under oaks April 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

someone else mentioned the food revolution on their blog...I'll have to check it out. I saw on the news that kids in our school district are petitioning the county to do away with foam throw away trays. They've raised the money to get reusable trays and a dishwasher. that's revolutionary too!

Jessica April 3, 2010 at 4:46 AM  

I hadn't watched FR yet, but last night I found myself at home and turned it on. Woah. Coming with a background in public schools and urban education I know how scary the meals are, but hearing about how french fries are considered a vegetable made me cranky. I did whip up a batch of granola bars (homemade/organic) for lunches during the show just to sooth my rage.

Gigi April 3, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

I love Jamie too! He's my fav TV chef (next to Nigella ;-)), and isn't it about time someone did something about the awful food in our schools?! As a teacher, I've seen (up close & personal) the horrible stuff they give our kids - it's truly a disgrace!

G

Ally Jay April 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Just found your earflap pattern on ravelry and am so happy. CNG wants one of these for the winter after seeing one at a show we went to. Now I'm off to sort yarn. Thank you.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP