The New Year

>> Monday, January 25, 2010

Happy new year to you all! It is the first month of the new year and after a lot of lazing around with my family after the holidays I feel full of energy. Being as it is the new year there is usually a lot of resolutions being made. I prefer to call them intentions because then there is no sense of failure if/when I slip up. I am very excited for this year and my intention is going to be to not waste. Period. Not waste .....


my time- I want to spend my time. If I am being lazy then relish the nothingness. Not just spend time but fill it. Actively. Knitting projects, sewing projects, playing mindfully with my children, really enjoying each moment.
food-I want to buy and cook food with the least amount of waste and really compost what I can. Not just when I think about it but really do it. Plan my meals. Cook mindfully. Prepare in volume and freeze for later.

my body-Exercise this body of mine. It is healthy and strong and I shouldn't waste this time while I am on the youngish side. Keep it healthy and strong for when I get older.

yarn/fabric-I want to make things that are either beautiful or will be used. If I make it and it doesn't fit into either category than rip-rip.


I think you get the idea. With this in mind here is my first project for 2010. I turned this

into this.
The Hannah Newsboy Hat (ravelry link).



I didn't wear the cowl ever and I really needed a carpool hat for the days when I can't quite get it together before we get out the door. This is my solution to feeling just a bit more put together. It was very easy to knit and the pattern comes with a lot of different ways to make the hat. Multiple bands, and hat tops can be mixed and matched and then just add the brim. I will definitely be making more.
The only part I am not particularly thrilled with is the brim. It was torn out out and redone twice and I think this is as good as it will get. Maybe my next one will turn out a little better.


I hope you are all off to a wonderful start for 2010!!

16 comments:

Gigi January 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

Well, that is cute! Don't see anything wrong with the brim. Thanks so much for the link! I've been wanting a newsboy cap.
Blessings,
G

Jessica January 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

I love that hat! I love your thoughts for the new year.

affectioknit January 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Super cute hat!

Anonymous January 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

Welcome back after that long absence. I love your hat, the brim looks fine to me. The colour is lovely too.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: January 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

My Mom always said "waste not want not." Love your new hat and I find that a hat is much more useful/oft worn than a cowl for me too :)

stitching under oaks January 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

love your intentions. and I love that hat! So great that you took something that wasn't working for you and made it into something that does! It looks adorable on you.

Cloudberry January 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

Love the hat, and the colour is amazing.

larissa January 26, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

That is the cutest hat and it looks great on you! I don't wear my cowls either. Love all your resolutions - enjoying each moment, eating healthy and taking care of yourself - i think you got all the bases covered!

Unknown January 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

I love your New Year's Intentions. It's a much better way to go about it. And I love the hat. I love that color of purple and, like many people, I've been looking around for that style of hat.

Kate (KnitsInClass) January 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Love that hat - the purple is fantastic- what yarn did you use?

Great New Year's intentions - very much what I am hoping to do in 2010, too.

Jane January 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

so cute! I love it as a hat better! Happy New Year to you!

Kristyn Knits January 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

I love your new hat!!
and your thoughts for 2010 are so honest and intentional.
best wishes to you! good to see you again!

MadMad January 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM  

Oh, it looks ADORABLE! Love it, love it, love it! And the color is awesome, too! Bet you're the hottest mom in the car pool!

Kar January 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

That's is to cute! Love the color.

xxxx

Philigry January 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

I adore this hat! I have it in my favorites and i want to make it. yours looks perfect! now i really have to give it a try!

Renee March 26, 2010 at 5:40 AM  

Great knits and plans!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP