Quilts and snow

>> Friday, February 25, 2011

Well we had another snow day home from school, it has been snowing since early this morning and it doesn't show signs of stopping. We have done our fun in the snow (lots of shoveling when you are a grown up) and are now snuggled back inside.

 While Jack takes a much needed nap, Avery and I are trying hard to snuggle together under my first quilt (it is only a lap sized one person quilt but shes small :).

I bought some charm packs ages ago and finished the quilt top a few weeks ago and sandwiched it and then it sat....and sat....and sat....due to my fear of binding.  In my little 'how to' quilt book it said something about hand stitch the binding and I just stopped reading there and put everything away.  Hand stitch are they crazy?   I did a little you tube browsing and found this video it is very easy to follow and a little sewing machine time and my quilt was finished. Now don't be frightened from this next shot.  My sewing machine and I are still working on our communication skills.  It doesn't always let me know in a timely manner when the bobbin is out of thread and I can't seem to make it understand when I say 1/4" seam allowance I mean on the whole darn thing.  But I digress, here is a shot of the front and back. 



Thank you Larissa for all of your tutorials on hand stitching binding as well. I read everything on your blog about quilting (your tutorials were a huge help!)

I know the seam isn't straight but the machine and I are in counseling and I'm sure after a few more sessions we will be better able to communicate our needs to each other.


Don't my corners look good though?  Hey a girl who can't sew a straight line has to get her compliments where she can get them :)


And finally a little snuggling, gotta love socks that only a six year old can pull off.  Now we have a big weekend planned and I have lots to do.  Have a great weekend everyone!

20 comments:

Chris February 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

That's a lovely wee quilt! I would so love a snow day right now. But at least it's the weekend. Have a great one!

CelticCastOn February 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM  

Is there hope for me?? I thought I was the only person who couldn't sew a straight line. YOur quilt looks great! Well done.

Anonymous February 25, 2011 at 4:06 PM  

It looks good to me! I'm still learning the basics. =)

Larissa February 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM  

Your quilt is awesome! And it snuggles your girly perfectly. And she love that her mama made it for her. imperfections are what make it feel and look handmade - and let me tell you that my 'making' is full of imperfections as well. just know that you can change the color of the bobbin thread to match the backing fabric - yes, that is how i hide my imperfections. Have a wonderful weekend snuggling with your kiddos.

MadMad February 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM  

What a cute job! And perfection is overrated, anyway. Who cares? You got a great quilt and a great snuggle and that's what really matters!

Trisha Jones February 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM  

Just look at that snow! What a beautiful reason to cuddle up under your new little quilt. The corners are just great--having worked at a quilt shop in the past and helped quilters with this difficult task, I appreciate a well-done corner!

Kar February 25, 2011 at 7:54 PM  

I just love your header picture! Gorgeous! And your quilt is so pretty with all the blues going on in it. Absolutely lovely. Enjoy the snuggles with it.
xxxx

faith76 February 26, 2011 at 1:37 AM  

Good effort, looks nice. You must have had oodles of patience. x

Leslie February 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM  

Oh, your quilt is beeeee-uuu-ti-ful!!! What pretty fabrics you chose! And your dd's socks match! Too cute. =)

stitching under oaks February 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM  

Your corners rock! the whole quilt is wonderful. How satisfying it has to be to snuggle under your very own creation. I love how it turned out.

The WoodLand School February 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM  

Hooray for your awesome corners and your cozy quilt! Great work :-)

ColorSlut February 28, 2011 at 6:34 AM  

LOVELY! Great job.

VeganCraftastic February 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

What an adorable quilt!

Ally Jay March 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM  

It's all about communication. It took a long time for me and my machine to really get along. I did need some help for my temper issues with it.

Renee March 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM  

well done ~ it's lovely!

Kristyn Knits March 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

YEAH for you!! The entire project is perfectly springtime! My sewing machine and I have talks as well. he. he.

Anonymous March 15, 2011 at 8:09 AM  

What an adorable quilt!

Imene March 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

I love the quilt!! I personally love snow days, people complain about them but I love how it forces me to slow down!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: March 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM  

That last shot with the adorable socks poking out is just too cute!!!

Wozie Wow WoW ~ that's your first quilt? Well done and I agree Larissa's tutorials are terrific and inspiring ~

I wondered why you were so quiet lately....you were buried under the snow!

Kristyn Knits April 1, 2011 at 6:43 AM  

stopping by to say "hi" as I get back into a normal routine. I hope you are well.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP