Our Christmas counter-downer

>> Thursday, December 2, 2010

A couple of years ago I made an advent calendar of sorts and while I loved it there was a little too much of it.  Trying to hang the looonnngg string and find an attractive and easy way to get the mittens, hats, and stockings off was a little too much.  So this year I made another one that is a bit more compact and very easy for little fingers to remove each little hat day by day to count down to Christmas.


I have 24 little white hats with alternating pom-poms in green and red and alternating colored numbers to get us to the big day.

Inside each little hat is a little something for the kids.  Candy, Christmas erasers, Christmas stamps, and in some of them I just have an activity written down, one night I have watching the Polar Express, making hot chocolate and peppermint whip cream (make whip cream as normal and then fold in candy canes that have been crushed in food processor-minty and colorful).

I made a little quilt of sorts  and sewed clear buttons on each square to hang our little hats on.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  The kids are more than excited to take turns pulling down each hat and of course I love that it is completely original.  

Now I'm off to make some more treats and finish some cowls for my kids because tomorrow we are heading up into the forest to cut down our Christmas tree with some friends. Have a wonderful weekend friends!

8 comments:

Kar December 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

That is just adorable. I love all the different prints you used on it. :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: December 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

How adorable!!!! I want to play along with the activities - LOL

Have fun choosing your tree :)

Kristyn Knits December 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

I love that you took something and made it work for your family! The littles are too cute!! Enjoy your weekend of activities.

Leslie December 3, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

This is so cute! Your title made me smile. That is so something my dad would have said.

stitching under oaks December 3, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

i have always loved advent calendars....yours is adorable! I love the handmade goodness that it just oozes. You did a fabulous job. Happy December.

andi December 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

Smart idea for an advent calender. I love the little hats. Have a wonderful time getting your tree!

Mary December 5, 2010 at 5:34 AM  

Perfect solution! I love the pom-poms!

ColorSlut December 6, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

Advents are so much fun. We do them in our house and I think it makes the build up to the holidays - well very special!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP