Advent calendar

>> Wednesday, December 3, 2008


In early fall I started knitting up this advent calendar. A few here, a few there. Last year I saw a magazine article that used children's old socks and mittens to make an advent calendar. Well of course I decided to knit one. I finished it and hung it up on the first. Now of course these little suckers are popping up everywhere. You can find one here, you can find one here and Soulemama has a version she sewed up a couple of years ago.


And according to Leslie you can find a pattern here. Sadly I didn't know about the pattern so I just stumbled along with a measuring tape and swatches to figure out my own pattern based on how big I wanted them.

There are little hats...

Little mittens...

and of course little stockings...
I braided up the leftover yarn to make a rope and then hot glue gunned little magnets to the rope and each little piece. I wanted to find an easy way for little hands to easily take them off and count down to Christmas. Of course each little pouch has goodies in it. Some have miniature candy canes, Hershey kisses, Xmas erasers and other little fun things I picked up. It was really fun to knit up so if you have the time I recommend it.

16 comments:

Alejandro December 3, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

little stockings are lovely!!

Anonymous December 3, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

I just found your blog recently and wanted to say how much I have been enjoying reading it. Your advent calendar is really lovely!

sheepish one December 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM  

it's really fabulous, and you KNOW that your kids will remember it as requisite holiday decor.
should you start now on one for your four year old's future home? ;-)

Renee December 3, 2008 at 11:20 AM  

Your Advent Caledar is adorable!!

Darcys Knotty Knitter December 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM  

I love your blog and these stockings are adorable:)HugsDarcy

Annie December 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

When I saw this in the Garnet Hill catalog last year it went on my list to make (but have I gotten to it? no!) I did receive a pattern from a bloggie friend and if you'd like I'd share.

Leciawp December 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

So pretty!

sweetp December 4, 2008 at 1:16 AM  

Thats a really cool idea, love the magnet way of doing things, such a good idea

Haley December 4, 2008 at 5:24 AM  

too cute! love the magnet idea too--great way to make it child friendly!

a friend to knit with December 4, 2008 at 7:41 AM  

oh you are so good to figure that all out on your own!!
i just didn't have enough brain power. :)

i love the little magnet idea.

Philigry December 4, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

so perfect! i just love, love it. maybve next year i will start one.

Mary December 4, 2008 at 3:35 PM  

It is so cute! You were so smart to start it early!

katie lore December 5, 2008 at 6:34 AM  

I wish I had thought of these for when my kids were little....

I love the christmas colours you used. So cute!!

Ally Jay December 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM  

Wow we have a cross stitch one made by my foster mum years ago, but a knitted one looks great.

Unknown December 11, 2008 at 7:16 AM  

This is so cute - the colors are super Christmassy ;-)

UK lass in US December 12, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

Oh, how sweet.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP