Hannah Hat

>> Sunday, December 7, 2008

I have a small problem with hats. I love to knit them but am not a huge fan of wearing them. The main reason is that my head gets so itchy underneath. Unfortunately I do not live in a tropical climate and the winters here are cold and require some sort of headgear. While perusing Ravelry I found this hat.

A side view...

What is so special about this hat you wonder? Why will it be less itchy? Well my friends the secret is in the back...
There is a secret hole for a ponytail.
This has been my problem all along. I hate wearing my warm winter hats because of my hair all bunched up underneath. With this fun little pattern I whipped up a hat that has this perfect little hole for my ponytail....problem solved.

There are also two little buttons to make taking it on and off easier,

although I don't unbutton it I just slip the ponytail through. I already wore the hat to a football game and it was very warm and I didn't experience a moment of itching! A very fast knit perfect for yourself if you have long hair or a friend who does.

Pattern: Hannah

Needles: DP Size 8

Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca, color Chambray

16 comments:

Renee December 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM  

Cool hat!! My daughter wears a pony tail most of the time, she'd love a hat like this.

affectioknit2 December 7, 2008 at 3:20 PM  

What a neat idea - I'm definitely going to make one of those - I'll be donating my long hair again in June - but I'll get some good use out of it...

Jessica December 7, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

I need to knit one of these right away...today my hat simply did not fit...and the windchill was below zero!

Anonymous December 8, 2008 at 5:04 AM  

That is such a good idea to prevent horrible hat hair! Must be good to keep the back of your neck warm too!

Anonymous December 8, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

I can see Lily knitting this! Hats can make you itch if you have a lot of hair underneath can't they!

Philigry December 8, 2008 at 10:45 AM  

love this idea! i may need one for myself.

Mary December 8, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

It looks so nice on you. I love the color!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: December 8, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

Cute hat and it fits you perfectly :)

Have you thought about trying a head band? Calorimetry is hugely popular.

Yarnhog December 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM  

That is such a good idea! I played sports when I was a kid, and the various girls' hats and helmets all had pony tail cutouts.

Leciawp December 9, 2008 at 8:46 AM  

Neat idea! I don't like wearing hats either.

Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

That is an awesome hat! I may have to stitch one up!

Ally Jay December 9, 2008 at 7:08 PM  

Always good to hear of a successful knitting experience. i looks great too.

a friend to knit with December 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM  

totally adorable!
i have been meaning to make libby one of those. maybe after the holidays.

Kathy... December 15, 2008 at 10:19 AM  

One of the gals at my Thursday night knitting group had this pattern last week. So clever! Your's looks just great!

mamabear57 December 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

Here is one I just made, with matching scarf and mitts with added lace at the cuff for a fancy 8year old daughter of a friend.

I added the boa fur as extra tra la la for her. Ponytail comes out the top of the picot-edged hole.

Anonymous February 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

I don't understand how this whole should stop your skin being itchy when you wear this hat!?

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP