Bulky Spring Sweater

>> Monday, May 3, 2010

I finished this cardigan a few weeks ago but uncooperative weather didn't permit any pictures. Finally a few shots of my daughter playing outside and voluntary wearing my sweater.  A willing participant always helps the photo shoots :).


The sweater turned out pretty cute.  Unfortunately between when I measured her for the sweater and finishing it she shot up about 2 inches.  So the bottom is a little bit shorter than I would have liked.

She is going back and forth across the yard 'making soup' in her 'kitchen'.  There was a lot of "How about a picture of me stirring my soup.  How about one of me collecting herbs." 
The pattern is Red Vines Coat, raveled here.  I used Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky and I hate saying it but I won't be using it again.  There was a lot of spots that were super thin and it broke or really thick where it looked like a large knot.  I ordered it online and the color is great but the fiber not as much.  At the rate she's growing it probably won't fit past this spring.
It was knit in sections from the bottom up but the use of bulky yarn made it very quick.  She loves wearing it over her sundresses to keep her warm and it has made many appearances to nighttime baseball games.  What more could a knitting mom ask for?                                                                                                                              

15 comments:

Chris May 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

This is so lovely! The color is gorgeous. It looks like a really handy sweater for this time of year, for sure.

Meg May 4, 2010 at 5:43 AM  

It's so cute! I love the pattern and the color. Sorry about the yarn, though. I just finished a sweater for myself for those spring-time chills, and now our weather seems to have jumped ahead to mid-summer! Oh, well!

Thea May 4, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

SO sweet! I love it with the colorful dress too...

ColorSlut May 4, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

What a great sweater. The purple is so rich and looks great on her!

Kate (KnitsInClass) May 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

What a yummy cardi! I'd like one in a grown-up size, please :)

affectioknit May 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

I love it - and it's PURPLE! YAY!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: May 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

It's absolutely adorable on her! Love that she enjoys making soup ;)

The color and texture look wonderful. Such a shame you were disappointed in the yarn. But, as you say, it's a one season sweater at her age anyway.

Ann May 5, 2010 at 3:44 AM  

This is very beautiful! Color is very trendy at the moment, so the little one is very fashionable :)

Sam May 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

This is grogeous!

Cloudberry May 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

Very cute!!

Kar May 6, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

That turned out wonderful! And the color is gorgeous!

amanda May 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

This is really sweet with those wide comfy sleeves. Love stronger colours on little ones!

stitching under oaks May 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

I love it...the color is just great for you sweet girl...and the cable on the back are wonderful. Great job Andrea!

Jessica May 7, 2010 at 4:12 AM  

That color is perfect! It is so very much sweater weather here--cooler in the mornings and evenings. Bulky knits are my favorite--they are so fast!

Unknown May 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

Sorry to hear about your problem with the yarn. My luck with it has been very good. I've had some bulky single ply yarns that have been like yours, though. That sweater is beautiful!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP