Procrastination

>> Friday, September 25, 2009

So I still have to do the seaming for those bears. Procrastination, anyone guilty out there? I remember in college usually the night before my finals would begin I would have the cleanest closet. Because everyone knows that a lack of dust bunnies and clutter in that tippy top shelf in your closet ensures a good grade right?

In honor of my college days from long ago I am participating in a good old procrastination fest. I made this bread. I love quick breads (who doesn't) and this is good morning or night. Toasted with some fruit in the morning. Or a side for a dinner of soup and salad.

Breakfast roll ups to store in the freezer so that no one will be hungry in the morning. I cooked up a mixture of homemade hash browns, a little cheese, eggs, salsa, and diced up turkey bacon. Wrapped them in whole grain tortillas and stored in the freezer. A quick heat in the microwave and we have breakfast for those on the go mornings.

I made a batch of vegetable stock for my freezer. A slow simmer of vegetables from my garden. Onions, carrots, celery (from the store), bell pepper, and lots of herbs and a couple of hours later I have some homemade stock for the next time soup making strikes my fancy.

This is one of a few baskets we have of apples harvested from the backyard. We have made one batch of applesauce that was promptly eaten and I plan on making another batch tonight or tomorrow. Peeled and cored the apples, simmered in a stock pot with a half a cup of water and a few tablespoons of sugar. Thirty minutes later a tasty afternoon snack for the kiddos.
Now the cooking is done and the kitchen is clean what else can I do? Well my daughter has been begging me to learn how to knit.


Unfortunately she doesn't quite have the dexterity yet to master it. I keep trying to teach her but this time it followed the same pattern and tears of frustration entered the scene. So I taught her finger weaving and it was a hit.

Have any of you done that? My sister and I used to finger weave all the time as kids. You weave the yarn back and forth through your fingers and pull the loops over. You end up with a long tube behind your hand and you can keep going until you have the length you want. We now have many different colored scarves that my daughter hand knit for her various puppies and kitties and other 'babies'.

So now the weekend is here. I still need to get those damn bears finished but I think I might have to make some soup because it is fall after all, and if I make soup then we'll need bread, and I don't know if I have any wine to drink with it so maybe a quick dash to the store and I still haven't finished watching season two of The Tudors and.....

What are your plans this weekend?

18 comments:

Pom Pom September 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

I love these photos! I also love reading about the cycles of inspiration and industry! It's our common bond - all of us who love handmade things.

Renee September 25, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

You[re productive when you procrastinate!! :)

We've never tried finger weaving, it looks like fun. When my daughter was younger and couldn't co-ordinate everything for knitting we tried a big crochette hook and chunky yarn which she mastered in no time.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: September 25, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

You are such a wise Mommy! That was a terrific save to show her how to finger weave :) Can't wait to see all her little scarves....

All your baking/cooking looks so wonderful and healthy! I also love making soups - but I make a chicken stock. Probably healthier to make the vegetable stock.

I feel for you with the sewing in ends. Just keep thinking how cute it will be when all done - LOL

Woolly Stuff September 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM  

I love procrastination! It builds up the tension really well, so that when you finally do what you have to do, you really appreciate it being done! People who don't procrastinate can't possibly have this joy, can they?!! ;)

larissa September 26, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

Thanks to all those bear pieces your family is eating SO very well (and healthy)! I love the idea of freezing the breakfast wraps and i,too, always make stock with chicken - so much healthier with all the veggies! My kiddos finger 'crchet' but the weaving looks like more fun because you end up with a wider product. thanks for the great post.

Jessica September 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

Seeing your applesauce makes me want to go apple picking tomorrow!

amanda September 27, 2009 at 4:21 AM  

Oh my goodness - procrastination! I have been known to procrastinate about whether i should procrastinate! :D

MadMad September 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

Dude. That doesn't sound quite like my kind of procrastination... in fact, you did more than I do when I actually set out to do something! Whoa. Very productive!

And both my kids loved finger knitting (Of course, I ended up having to wear all those little "belts" and "scarves" they made...)

stitching under oaks September 27, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

you can come procrastinate at my house any day! That broth sounds delicious!

Philigry September 27, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

beautiful pictures! i love the one of the apples. you are so lucky to have them right in your own backyard! i made some applesauce too! so yummy.

Heather September 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

Procrastination has yielded me some of the most organized parts of my home :)

I love finger knitting with the little ones. It is such a great way to pass the time.

Hope the weekend was a wonderful one.

imene September 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

I thought my picture was next to the definition "procratination" in the dictionary.
I love the idea of teaching little ones finger knitting. I should look for a tutorial ..

Kristyn Knits September 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

procrastination? where? all I see is project success in this post! your breakfast wraps are a great idea!! and your homemade applesauce sounds delicious. my weekend was full of paper crafting (I mean procrastinating).

Haley September 29, 2009 at 5:50 AM  

my three year old keeps asking me to knit but after one second of instruction insists that he knows how. then he gets frustrated because he has no idea. maybe we'll try finger weaving. thanks for the fun idea! oh, and good luck with the seaming. i hate seaming!

Linda September 29, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

Look at that bread! Yum!

crochetgurl September 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

Yum. Homemade stock sounds good. I don't know what it is about fall, but recently I've been cooking and baking more too. It's like September brings out the domestic in me. :-D

P.S. Speaking of procrastination, I have a Sackboy from late 2008 that I still haven't seamed up.

The Wooly Wumpus September 29, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

You've been busy cooking up a storm! Everything looks and sounds yummy.

When my sister and I learned to knit - ages 10 and 8 - my mom cut down two sets of enormous 8mm needles to about 8" long and got us started with chunky wool. Wonky scarves abound! I would start with 10 stitches and always ended with 6 or 14! :)

jules September 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

That DOES not look loke procrastination, it looks like productivity if anything.

that bread looks so yummy, I love the oats.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP