Finally

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fitting that this is the first day of Autumn and I am showcasing my first autumn knit. A sweater for my daughter.


This is the Girlfriend Swing Coat by Wendy Bernard. A very quick knit with sizing from 2 to 10. I will definitely be making it again when she has outgrown this one. The top is actually hooked together with a hook and eye and a button to cover it up.

I am jumping into this season with both feet as many of you seem to be doing. I hunkered down this last week nursing a cold of my own, two sick children, and a husband also under the weather. We wore sweats and snuggled in blankets with the curtains drawn....you see it was 92 degrees outside, complete with birds chirping and nary a cloud. Not quite hunkering down weather but we're ready so I think we are just going to will it to be colder.

The changes I made were minimal. I did a garter stitch band on the ends of the sleeves and bottom of the coat. To match I made the collar all garter stitch as well. I had originally planned to do an attached i-cord around the coat and collar (my first) but it didn't work out. I kept attaching it too tightly or something and the sweater would pucker. After an embarrassing amount of attempts to get it right I gave up and redid the collar, cuffs, and bottom of the coat with the garter stitch which, now that it is finished, I love.

It definitely swings as the pattern name suggests and is going to be a great addition to her fall sweater collection. I knit it using Knit Picks Swish Superwash which turned really soft after washing it. I washed it on delicate in the washing machine and then laid it out to dry.

And of course now that she's five she really can't sit still for long because she is "much busier now that she's older". Getting her to to sit still for photos was hard because, "doesn't it just look so much better when I'm running?"

And she's off. Happy first day of Autumn to all of you!

31 comments:

Chris September 22, 2009 at 6:57 AM  

That is beautiful! I'm sure she will gets lots of wear out of it. I've had the same sweater on needles for the past 6 months for my own 5 year old. You've inspired me to dig it out and finish once and for all.

Pom Pom September 22, 2009 at 7:47 AM  

I'm glad your family is feeling better! The sweater is brilliant! I hope she wears it and wears it!
It's so nice to "see" you, AHMK!
oxpom pom

Unknown September 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

That sweater is just adorable. I have been wanting to knit my girls a sweater, but haven't attempted it yet. Maybe this will be the year! That pattern looks great, might just have to go for it! Hope you have a healthy Autumn!

stitching under oaks September 22, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

I'm hoping you all are feeling better...looks like your daughter is. Her coat turned out fabulous! I love the color and the way it is so swingy! Great job! Happy Fall to you too!

Heather September 22, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

So cute! That looks warm, flowing and perfect for this time of year. Beautiful stitch work as well, and I love the button

Happy Autumn

affectioknit September 22, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

I love it! It's gorgeous!!!

The Wooly Wumpus September 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

I love the swing and the colour! I'm sure this will become a fave in her sweater collection!
Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: September 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

That's adorable on her! I love the garter stitch edges/details - it gives a nice touch.

Hope you all are feeling well again. And thanks for letting me know today is the first day of Fall. Yay!

Imene September 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

I love the color it's so nice.

Renee September 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

What a shame everyone was sick. Wishing you all well soon.

What a chic coat! The colour and swing are fabulous.

periwinkle September 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

oh dear, hope you are all feeling better soon, a lovely cardigan too, I;ve had a quick look through your back posts and I just adore Bellas mittens and as for the bear ,,, my tip is to sew it up as you go along because when you see all the pieces there together it looks really off putting..

crochetgurl September 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Your daughter's sweater is very beautiful! I love Wendy Bernard's patterns too, especially when they're top-down and knit in the round. :-)

Anonymous September 22, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

I need to go check that out for my daughter! I wonder if she'd wear it. Yours is gorgeous.

Cloudberry September 23, 2009 at 4:15 AM  

Very cute and I love the button.
Think I'll have to check out this pattern :)

MadMad September 23, 2009 at 5:27 AM  

Oh, it is just great! And it does look wonderful when she runs, too, you can tell her!

I'm totally with you on the hurry-the-heck-up-fall thing. I hate getting my sweaters all ready to go, and then having to re-find the shorts I already put away!!!

Kar September 23, 2009 at 7:12 AM  

Very pretty! Looks like your daughter absolutely loves it! Very lucky little girl. :)

xxxx

Kate (KnitsInClass) September 23, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

Great sweater - I actually just bought something similar in a grown-up size! Beautiful color, too.

Prairie Girl September 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

Thanks for the blog visit. This is a gorgeous knit! I love the fingerless mitts below, too!

Will come back for a visit again soon :)

Happy knitting (and happy Fall!)

Pipany September 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I am off for a read through yours now x

Ally Jay September 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

The blue is very rich and seems to suit your daughter very well given that she's so excited adn moving all the time. The style is so cute too, love the collar.

Nicole September 23, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Great looking sweater! Love the action shots. :)

Two Cables and a Frapp September 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

It is beautiful. I've always loved that color from Knitpicks. Your pictures are lovely also. It's good to hear that your family is doing well.

jules September 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

She is one lucky girl to have such a beautiful sweater that she can say her Mama knitted her.

Great job. I love the color.

Jessica September 23, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

That sweater is beautiful! Perfect for all of autumn!

Thea September 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM  

you know I think I want a girlfriend swing coat for ME... I love the shot from the back when she's running. Glad everyone if up and better :-)

Charity September 24, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

What a great little coat! I love all those running shots. :o)

Trisha Jones September 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

The blue is fantastic! Thanks for stopping by my new blog the other day and commenting--it was a nice surprise to read! I hope you and your family are feeling better.

sheepish one September 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

glad you weren't *too* sick (ahem)...

love, love, love the swing of that girlfriend swing! what a pretty knit!!

Mary September 25, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

LOVE it! I especially love the picture in motion! It makes me smile!

Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

that is just gorgeous! you did a beautiful job. & i do think it looks pretty great when she's running. :)

a friend to knit with September 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

oh my. totally adorable!
nothing like those first cool fall days....

i am sure by now all are feeling better. i sure hope so!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP