Meander Mitts

>> Thursday, September 3, 2009

Another pair of mitts. I kind of thought I made enough earlier this summer but when you get inspired it is usually best to listen and cast on.

I originally thought these mitts might make a good Christmas gift for someone but I'll confess that now that they are finished I love them. They are extremely comfortable and warm. They have a snug fit without being too tight. I love the meandering cables along the palm and back and the twisted rib at the cuff and top keeps the mitt from gaping anywhere.

Here is the ravelry link. They are from the Vogue Knitting magazine fall 2009. This is the first time I have received a knitting magazine and promptly cast on for one of the projects. I used 2 skeins of knit picks andean silk yarn. It is a less expensive alternative to the suggested yarn and I had it on hand. It is really soft and warm and I imagine I'll be wearing these a lot this winter in the carpool line :). I used size 3 needles and managed to get the gauge with no problems.
It seems that almost every blog I read the virtues of autumn are being espoused. Well these mitts were fast, super easy, and I think beautiful so I definitely recommend casting on for either a Christmas gift or to keep in your coat pocket for the ready the minute the weather turns.


Hope your week is going well. I also wanted to do a little shout out for my five year old daughter on today, her usual (as she put it) birthday. The color of these mitts is more like the bottom two photos....the sun wasn't super cooperative this morning. Happy fall knitting to all of you!

20 comments:

knithound brooklyn September 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

those are really sweet! Great gift idea, too.

Jessica September 3, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

I must cast on mitts now!

Woolly Stuff September 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

very cute! hmmm... it's starting to be mitt weather here...

Renee September 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

Great mitts!
Happy birthday to your daughter. :)

The Wooly Wumpus September 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

Oh! I love them! Nothing beats fingerless mitts - can't have enough of them! Hard to imagine we'll need mitts soon...

Mary September 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

Oh, I LOVE those!

Kristyn Knits September 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Love them!
you're tempting me!

Pom Pom September 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

So pink and pretty - also, PERFECT! Way to go, AHMK! xopp

stitching under oaks September 4, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

I love those! I might have to try those out. They turned out great! Thanks for sharing.

Heather September 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Those are so pretty, and so perfect for the coming of Autumn (I love the color!)

Ally Jay September 4, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

I think they look brilliant. Love the colour and the pattern.

Gigi September 4, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

Ooooo, love those -- gorgeous pattern & color! I should be making mitts & Christmas gifts, but instead, I've been on a fanatic dishcloth knitting binge lately?
Thanks so much for the pie tip too!
Blessings,
G

MadMad September 6, 2009 at 7:13 AM  

Love 'em! What a super cute present... except I wouldn't be able to give them away, either!

Oh, and yes, Happy Bday to your daughter! May this year be her most special yet!

Seona September 6, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

These are really cute mitts!

larissa September 9, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

those are some great mitts! i love how nice and snug they fit - you can still drive and take care of the kiddos! Happy 5th birthday to your daughter - mine will be 5 tomorrow. did she begin kindergarten or do you homeschool?

Unknown September 9, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

These are beautiful! I love the color!

Sam September 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

Wow they are beautiful - keepers for sure. Great pattern, great colour, great fit. If you do decide to gift them I know a good caring home hehehe ;o)

thea September 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

these are gorgeous!

Imene September 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

I love those mittens, yummy colors

Unknown September 16, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

Oh this are gorgeous ... really beautiful!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP