Catch the Wave Afghan

>> Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Well I started this blanket a long time ago. Just under a year ago to be a bit more precise.

I have been cleaning out cupboards and closets the last few weeks. Trying to prepare for when school is back in and things get a bit busier around here I guess. Anyway I realized that this blanket has been sitting in a bag in my closet for the last year and I promised it to my daughter last Christmas yikes.

I pulled it out and just kept plugging away until it was done. I used the Lion Brand Homespun yarn that is recommended for it. It is the Catch the wave afghan pattern here (free). Fast and easy to memorise. She just recently watched most of the first Harry Potter movie (we fast-forwarded the scary stuff) and she requested that I make this blanket invisible like the cloak in the movie. Apparently it's quite easy. You just knit it up and then put the invisible stuff on (you can just buy it at the craft store). Who knew? :)

It is surprisingly heavy and quite warm, although one doesn't really need a warm blanket in August but my daughter insists that she be covered up with it at night. Usually either myself or my husband goes down a few hours after the kids have gone to bed and uncovers her as it is really too hot.
Check out those ends.....I had to use some Fray Check for each one just to ensure that it doesn't unravel all over the place.

I have some Christmas knits going but they are being knit at night or in the quiet nap time hours as they are presents for Christmas. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have something to share.

12 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: August 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

Kuddos for finishing a UFO! Love the colors that you used and am delighted that your little one is soooo pleased with it :) I must remember to read the Harry Potter stories :)

MadMad August 5, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

Don't you just LOVE it when you finish those blankets that are sitting in your UFO pile? It's THE BEST. And that's a cute one! Wish I could actually see it, though... ;) That invisibility thing... you know, it could do wonders for my whole UFO pile!

stitching under oaks August 5, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

great blanket! so glad you got it knocked off your UFO list! It looks great.

Jessica August 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

I would want to curl up under that blanket right now even in hundred degree heat...it looks so warm and comfy!

Kate (KnitsInClass) August 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

Your FO looks great - I love the part about making it invisible :) (I'm a huge Harry Potter fan)

Good thought with the Fray Check - I've been creating a lot of handspun lately, and I am a little worried about how the ends aren't looking as "tight" as machine-made yarn.

Pom Pom August 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Thank you for sharing with us! I had a purple blanket that my granny made when I was that age. I wish I still had it!

Kristyn Knits August 6, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

don't you just love the feeling you get when you finish a project that has taken a back seat?
we're still a month away from the start of school, but the cleaning out has begun!

Woolly Stuff August 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

I'm glad I'm not the only one starting to think about christmas knits! what a cute blanket!

Knitterella August 7, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

Great blanket! Love the Fray Check tip.

Christmas projects on your needles? Good for you! I need to start thinking about that…

Renee August 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

Lovely!
Need to get me some of that invisible stuff... :)

The Wooly Wumpus August 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM  

Beautiful blanket! It's far to pretty to make invisible. Maybe the next one can be invisible? :)

Jane August 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Looks as if you have been having a fun and productive summer! Wish our weather was a bit warmer here. It's raining again! Buckets and buckets!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP