A little WIP and things to do

>> Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Haven't blogged in awhile and so I thought I should check in and update everyone on what I have been doing. I am going to participate in my first swap and it's international. I am so beyond excited about this. I saw this post awhile back and had to post on comment on the blog of the woman who made the little leather booties. She thanked me for my comments and suggested we do a swap. I realized after I had agreed that a swap is a lot of pressure. What to make? What yarn to use? Am I skilled enough? After much Internet perusing and some emails sent out to ask various people "what do you think?" I finally settled on this yarn from Debbie Bliss.

I have never used any Debbie Bliss (love her patterns though) and I have to say.....yummy. It is so soft and I am assuming since it is alpaca it will be very warm. I want to make all of my future sweaters out of this yarn because it is that scrumptious.







I hope you like green Viv because I am using this for you. Since we haven't swapped yet I won't be revealing exactly what I'm knitting but here is a sneak peak at the yarn :).


I am also working on a blanket. Truth be told I don't enjoy making blankets that much. It is a lot of knitting back and forth and to me kind of boring. But when your four-year-old daughter looks up at you and asks, "Mommy, could you knit me a blanket that will keep me warm at night so I won't get cold?" you immediately load up the car and rush to the store so she can pick out the yarn she wants.



This is the catch the wave afghan, pattern found here, using Lion Brand homespun yarn. The girl wanted a light purple and a dark purple. It is really hard to show the blanket while still on the needles so I will post a hopefully much better picture when I finish it.

On a non-knitting note my little girl is going to her first day of preschool today. I have been fortunate enough to be at home with my children since they were born and so this is a big step for all of us. I know she'll have fun, and I know she needs to spread her little wings, and it's only a couple of hours a day three days a week. There is just the sadness that it's the end of an era as well. The end of us always being together and her going off and taking small steps towards independence. I am very excited for her but just between you and me I'm also the teeniest bit sad.

9 comments:

sheepish one August 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

oh, i completely understand your bit of sadness... preschool IS a big step. it's so hard to think of how dependent on your the child has been, and to suddenly think of them leaning on another or standing alone: both aspects are a little scary to me! i hope it goes really well and she wants to go back the next day. (okay, that can be a hard pill to swallow, too!) but you know what? she can cuddle that blanket at night and think of how much she's loved, even if she is a big-time preschooler now!!
isn't debbie bliss the best?? for functionality, i seriously adore her yarns. hats, mitts, sweaters, you name it, debbie bliss has a yarn that would be perfect!

Unknown August 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

That yarn is such a pretty color. I can't wait to see what you're making!

sweetp August 26, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

I'm sure Viv will love whatever you are making her. Can't wait to see what she sends you too! How cool for you both to do a big international swap :D

Annie August 26, 2008 at 5:54 PM  

That looks like some soft squishy yarn and I'm sure she'll love whatever you make.
Good luck with the preschool. My youngest starts next week. Bittersweet :)

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

I'm very excited on this end too. I love doing swaps :-) The wool looks absolutely devine. I love the colour. I haven't started to sew yet, but it's on my list for this week, and I've chosen what colours I'll be using. I might put a post on my blog about them later in the week.

It' is sad when you realize just how much your children are growing up. Her blanket looks awesome, looks like the same light purple of the top I just made Lilly :-)

Kathy... August 27, 2008 at 12:25 PM  

oh, your post brought back memories.... My kids are 28 and 32 years of age, so it was a while back.... but my memory is so vivid...

But I cried as each of them bounded off into the preschool room/group of kids. Some kids were clinging to their moms in tears... Mine..Nope...ran off and never looked back! LOL I guess they were very well adjusted, and me.... I cried as I slumped my way to the car. I have always been prone to tears at sentimental moments!

Love the blanket, btw! She will dearly treasure it, I am sure.

Philigry August 27, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

oh, i bet viv will love whatever you make for her.
that blanket is so nice. your daughter will love it!

Mary August 29, 2008 at 8:10 AM  

That first day of pre-school is so bittersweet.

A swap sounds like so much fun.

Ally Jay August 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

I fell for that one too, and am in the midst of ripple repeat hell. I've promised it to my dear girl when she's ten. She's sseven so I figure I might make the deadline.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP