Balance: Homemade Granola

>> Thursday, August 27, 2009

I was recently watching something and food was involved. The discussion was regarding the soul nurturing component of food. If food is made with a loving intention then it did far more for a person than sate their hunger. You can taste the intention of the cook through their food. I liked that idea.
With that in mind I made this granola. Cooking for my family brings me comfort...."making dinner" does not. Know what I mean? I love putting food together to feed people when I have the time, no little people whining at me, and good ingredients. Unfortunately most of my cooking as of late has been the 'quick-get-it-on-the-table-everyone-quit-yelling-at-me-I-know-you're-hungry-I-can-only-do-one-thing-at-a-time' variety.

This time those things actually went a little more smoothly and if you had peeked in my window I would have looked like I had it all together, for that moment anyway :)

The long slow cooking of this granola filled my home with comforting smells and after a summer with minimal oven use it a was a nice reminder that autumn is around the corner, my favorite time of year.


The recipe for this delicious granola can be found here....I highly recommend making it. I think next time I'm going to add some flax to it. Great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The batch I made (which was a half batch of the recipe) is almost gone and even my pickiest eater consumed quite a bit. Hope you had a great day!

8 comments:

Renee August 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

There's nothing more soothing and delicious than homemade granola. Comfort at it's best. I'll have to give your recipe a try, thanks. :)

Chris August 27, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

I know exactly what you mean about making dinner. Every few months I like to spend 3 hrs making a lasagna or something on the weekend just so I can enjoy making "real food" and know I can do stuff besides the "throw-together" meals after work during the week. Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try it.

Pom Pom August 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

Looks delicious! I bet everyone is feeling happy and satisfied!

MadMad August 28, 2009 at 6:29 AM  

Oh, that looks so yummy. (And hey! Maybe we could serve it for dinner, and take care of that, too!)

stitching under oaks August 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

That does look good. We love granola...I add flax seed to mine from time to time.

affectioknit August 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

That looks so delicious!!!

Jessica August 28, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

That recipe really is tasty-all of Heather's are favorites here. Granola is an 'every meal' here-when I get home from class at night the only thing I want for dinner is granola!

Jessica Lynn February 10, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

Granola-- Yum! I love to eat homemade granola with fresh peaches in the summer. Soooo good!

I completely relate to this--"as of late has been the 'quick-get-it-on-the-table-everyone-quit-yelling-at-me-I-know-you're-hungry-I-can-only-do-one-thing-at-a-time' variety". Glad I'm not alone in the love of cooking but the sometimes burdensome feeling of "what's for dinner?".....

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP