To market to market...

>> Sunday, July 26, 2009

Or maybe just to the beach. This is where my market bag has been of late. The beach. The funny thing is to see my family, we are not beach folk. If you scroll back through my posts you may have noticed that my daughter has red hair and a fair complexion. My son has curly blond hair and tans a bit better. My husband is a redhead and although I am descended from Italians (my father gets quite dark) the pigment gene skipped me completely. My dark is most people's base tan. We are doing our best this summer, with SPF 5o in hand to dispel the idea that in order to enjoy the beach you have to tan up....so far so good (no burns).



This bag was a super quick knit and I didn't make any modifications. I knit it up using lion brand cotton-ease and needed less than 3 skeins. The bottom is knit up holding two strands at once so while the bag is very Mary Poppins like with it's ability to hold almost anything you want to stuff inside; the bottom doesn't stretch out to match your height. You know a lot of knitted bags are great and can easily be filled up but once full and the strap is on your shoulder you may have to do a little soccer maneuvering to help walk because the bottom of the bag is hanging out at your ankles. Free pattern can be found here.

A quick story that isn't about knitting or the bag but rather driving home from the beach. Today while driving home we are all in the car enjoying an afternoon thunderstorm that began just as we were headed home, bundled into our comfy clothes, smelling of sunscreen and sand. It is an hour drive to the beach from our house so our rides home can either be great and drowsy or full of screaming from an exhausted two year old late for his nap....always a crap shoot which one it will be. Today a couple of miles from home he decides that he is done being in his car seat and wants out. If you aren't familiar with little people car seats they have a buckle between the legs that secures their lower half and a chest strap with a clasp around their chests. So my son is complaining quite loudly about how he "is done" being in his seat. A quiet minute and then I hear a loud (and quite happy) WHEEEEEE from the back seat. A check of the rear view mirror and I see my young son has pushed his chest strap down to his waist and pulled his arms out. He is still secured with his lower strap but from the waist up, nothing. His arms are in the air much like a person on a roller coaster rides and as I turn corners he is yelling WHEEEEEE....what am I going to do with him?

14 comments:

Renee July 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

What a great bag! Love the colour.
Boy - they want to grow up so fast...

Ally Jay July 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

Always a bit of a scary moment when you realised just what the little ones can do. Hopefully you can convince him not to try it again.

Pom Pom July 30, 2009 at 5:46 AM  

Thank you for the bag pattern. Your bag is very cool I wish I lived an hour from the beach!

larissa July 30, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

I've been meaning to make that bag - yours is beautiful and may be just what I need for inspiration. We just got back from the beach ourselves and my 4 year old surprised me by running as far as she could into the ocean and counting on me to scoop her up every time a wave knocked her over - they have absolutely no fear!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: July 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

Love your pretty blue market bag! I hope it enjoys many happy outtings :)

Your little boy sounds very creative and resourceful. I would compliment the ingenuity he showed and then tell him remind him that for his own safety you have rules which must be followed. And, failing to do so, will have consequences. Of course, since I do not have children, my advice is all theoretical :)

Jessica July 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

I have cottonease and I love free patterns. I'll have to try this one out since I seem to be misplacing a lot of my market bags lately!

Mary July 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Great color for your market bag! Boys... :)

MadMad July 31, 2009 at 4:08 AM  

Sell him off now, for sure! ;) Ah, those little boys...

Annie July 31, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

I need to borrow your bag for our vacation :) Love it.

Why is it they can always find a way out of those car seats?

amanda July 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

Oh my! I remember how a 2 year old Lily used this car seat trick to torment me! I think the phase went on for some time too. Yikes!

Knitterella August 1, 2009 at 5:21 AM  

"WEEEEEE!" - too cute :)

Love the bag. I'm seeing those on needles every where - yours looks great!

Woolly Stuff August 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

Cool bag! I think I've gotten my first real tan ever - despite covering myself in goopy handfuls of SPF 30 - a week in Sicily... I also was really pleased with myself that I managed to not burn. I may be finally growing up!

a friend to knit with August 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM  

the perfect bag....for the market or a day at your gorgeous lake!
i really have been meaning to make one of those!

love your header.... made me wish i was still there!

stitching under oaks August 2, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

what a great bag...I have some cotton ease, leftover...maybe I can make it work. That is so funny about your son...a bit of an escape artist you've got on your hands.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP