Bella's Mittens

>> Tuesday, May 19, 2009

So I was queuing up projects for May. Mitts, fingerless and whole, mittens, and gloves. While perusing the pages of Ravelry I came up on the pattern for Bella's mittens. They are nice and long with a simple cable down the front. I read the initial notes and thought the bulky yarn would make it a quick knit. I could see myself wearing them by a campfire all snuggled up in my warm mittens cradling a drink.


The pattern I followed found here (free). I used Cascade Peruvian Highland Wool in Pine, two skeins. Size 8 needles. No modifications. I love these mittens! They were fast and easy. The cable was easy to memorize and they are very warm.

While I was knitting them I flipped through some of the other raveler's finished projects and read some more notes. Then it hit me when I saw Twilight pop up on someones notes. Bella's mittens are not just some random name the creator of the pattern gave to the mittens, the mittens are patterned after a pair of mittens that Bella wears in the Twilight movie. Now I don't know how many of you have read the books but I have to think that you have heard of them no matter what. How did I miss that one?


My best friend and I have known each other since before we had ever kissed a boy. We are now both married with kids. We have been sharing secrets, crushes, and everything else for over twenty years. Umm ladies I think Miss D. (we'll call her that to avoid any embarrassment) is at home right now waiting for Edward of the Twilight series to show up. Her husband is a great guy but I have it on good authority that she would pack up and leave if Edward crooked his finger at her :). Since she has cast herself as Bella in her head maybe I should pass these mittens on to her...or at the very least make some for her birthday?
Also make sure to check out Gabes' adorable Mr. Crocodile mittens and Chris' Hermione Cable and bobble mittens.

12 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: May 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

Those are great mittens! They are on my "must knit" list :) I haven't read any of the books but I still want a pair.

I think you should keep this pair for yourself and knit your friend some for her birthday!

Kristyn Knits May 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

lovely mitts! I'm with Mr. Puffy- keep this pair and knit your friend a gift.

Philigry May 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

i love those mittens, and i love the story about your best friend. i was thinking about making those for my best friend too. did you double the yarn?

Gigi May 20, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

Love those! They look so warm & cosy.
I'm thinking about making Evangeline after I finish my other Fetching. Have you made Evangeline yet? Just wondering how difficult they are -- guess I'll just dive in & see if I sink or swim ;-)?

sheepish one May 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
sheepish one May 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

wow, A, those a beautiful, and in position one in my queue.
you should keep that pair and knit another for miss D. and tell her she's not alone. i've recently found that there are many women who'd pack up and leave a perfectly good husband for edward. ;)

Alisha May 21, 2009 at 12:06 AM  

I love this pattern. I will be making many more. I love the color you used...they look awesome!

Those books were amazing. My girls had read them long before I did and one day I decided to sit down and see what the hype was...well I read them all in about a month which is quick for me.

I was reading every chance I got....it even won out over knitting a few times. When I wasn't reading I was thinking about what was going to happen next.

I started the Sookie Stackhouse seris by Charlaine Harris...the first book is dead until dark....so good. The series on HBO, Trueblood is based on this book. So if your friend needs another vampire in the wings tell her about them!

Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 2:40 AM  

oooooooh those mittens are gorgeous!! love the colour you did them in too!!

I bet your best friend would love a pair of then :)

affectioknit May 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

I love those nice long mittens...

Anonymous May 24, 2009 at 5:05 AM  

I love the mittens, and the story about your friend!

Jackie May 26, 2009 at 5:13 PM  

Both you and Miss D are so lucky to have each other, a well-treasure friendship is a blessing.

Sends my warm regards to her please.

This pair of mitt will come in handy while you're camping.

Nice job on the cables.

Pom Pom May 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

The mitts are magical! VERY cool!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP