Elizabeth Zimmerman Almanac

>> Friday, May 1, 2009

I recently purchased this book for myself. Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. I know, I know, I am a little behind the times as the original publication for this book was before I was born but anyway :)

I had enough knitting on my plate in April so I put it aside until May. If you are familiar with her writing then you will know how enjoyable this book is to read. She has projects broken out by each month so I am going to join the Ravelry group for this book and thought it might be fun to have a loose knit-a-long here as well. I don't plan on making everything exactly as she does but since Ms. Zimmermann's patterns are more of a loose guide then an actual pattern I don't think she will mind.
Is anyone interested in joining in? For May it is mittens. Knitting up lots of mittens for next winter. I have a few mitts I'd like to knit for myself and I wouldn't mind getting a head start on some mittens for my babes. I'm still going to have other projects going as well but mitts don't take too long and it would be nice to start the winter season with a basket full of woolly mitts ready. As far as a spring knit, mitts are kind of perfect as they won't be a hot mess of wool taking up too much room and they are easy to tote around. Anyone interested? I am going to post some links to a few free patterns, so go stash bust (you know you have some yarn somewhere that isn't going to get used if you don't go grab it now) and let's make some mittens.

Convertible fingerless mitts to mittens here. Dashing for him. Fetching for her. Some manly mittens. Color work mittens for her. Some gloves might be nice. Children mittens with a cable. Of course the much blogged about evangeline mitts. And for for the more industrious knitter some long fair isle mitts from Classic Elite. And for the super adventurous go here for stitch patterns and make up your own.

Happy Knitting everyone!

13 comments:

Chris May 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM  

That is so funny! I have that book (I love her!), just re-read the May chapter this week and thought "so it's not crazy that I'm making mittens in springtime (I'm making the Norwegian Snail mitts by Adrian and just got the wool from Schoolhouse Press yesterday to make some Deep in the Forest mitts)because Elizabeth says it's a good time to make mitts!" So I'm on board with your KAL!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: May 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

What a fun idea! I have thought about picked up one of her books, but you gave me the nudge I needed so I've just ordered it :) I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Thea May 1, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

good idea -- I've been meaning to do a few mittens myself, so if I can get off my duff to begin, I'll do it too!

Renee May 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

I don't have any books yet from Elizabeth (oh shame on me!) but your KAl is such a super idea!!

When things settle a little more here I might order the book and join you in a few months time.

Happy Knitting!

sweetp May 1, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

I'd love to read that book one day. MIttens are next up for me. Winter is just weeks away so I better get going!!

Woolly Stuff May 2, 2009 at 2:30 AM  

oooh thanks for the link to the stitch library! I'm on a knitting hiatus at the moment (have to get some other work done), but this gives me ideas...

Jackie May 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

This is indeed a very useful knitting almanac.

Looking forward to see your FOs using the tips and techiques from it.

Kate (KnitsInClass) May 4, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

I can't believe I've gotten through my knitting career (if you can call it that) without Elizabeth Zimmerman. Another book I should definitely order -

Gigi May 4, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

I just got my first E. Zimmerman book recently too. Great stuff but haven't tried anything yet.
I'd love to make the 'Fetching' fingerless gloves, so I'm definitely in on that. Not sure how knitalongs work -- never done one, so I'll follow your lead ;-).

Ally Jay May 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

Wow my daughter wants mittens knitted for her birthday in August. Perhaps I better get started.

stitching under oaks May 6, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

super idea! I could get a jump start on my Christmas crafting/gifting ideas. Thanks Andrea!

Mary May 7, 2009 at 4:51 AM  

I picked up a copy of that book a while back, because I noticed more than once, a designer saying it was good to have in your library. Elizabeth Zimmerman is a knitting icon!

Alisha May 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

What a cool book. I know there are mitts in my future.....maybe by the end of May.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP