Fingerless Mitts and more

>> Thursday, January 8, 2009

You know how you are supposed to let your car warm up in the morning. Much like most of us need a cup of coffee to get going, cars are supposed to be started and then sit idle for a few minutes so that the oil and other car fluids are warm. At least this is what my father told me growing up and my husband tells me now. Well, I have a hard time getting two little ones in the car with their various accessories, blankies, sippy cups, toys, shoes, jackets, and "must have" babies. Not to mention getting myself loaded up with purse, diaper bag, knitting bag, and now my daughter's preschool bag. So forget about taking the time to warm up the car. We load up and head out. This rather long, dull, uninteresting discussion on car maintenance is really just one long justification for why I knit up some fingerless mitts. It is a preemptive argument if you will for my sister. My family has teased her for years about her love of fingerless mitts and leg warmers. I swore I saw no need for them and would probably never be knitting them up.....I am a liar.

The last few mornings have been the first cold ones to sneak up on me and a big reminder that winter is here. I am fortunate enough that I have a garage I can park in it so there is no need to scrape off snow or morning frost. Up until this year I didn't HAVE to be anywhere, especially in the morning when the weather is less than cooperative. Now I have to be up and out for school, UGH. Anyway, talk about a short story getting longer, I hate driving with a cold steering wheel. I'm already bundled up in a jacket but I can't wear gloves or mittens because I have to buckle/unbuckle car seats and help little people. And I hate having to put on and remove gloves........sooooo.......I broke down and made these fingerless mitts.
The yarn is the same berroco ultra alpaca from the Hannah hat. The pattern was kind of a hodge podge of patterns and I just sized it for my own hand. I took the most inspiration from the Vogue Fall 2008 pink sonata gloves. The only detail I did add was for my thumb.


I bound off about 1/3 of the stitches and then the next row I cast back on for them to create a little opening for my thumb to peak out of (those dang carseats need full functioning hands). Of course now that I have a pair (albeit with a little flip top to keep everything toasty), I want more. I want real fingerless mitts with no top in just about every color.

One last little fun thing to share is this video for all the moms out there. This video is short, sweet, to the point, and funny. If you have the time to take a moment then click here and have a giggle.

12 comments:

Renee January 8, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

Love the video!! I'm going to send the link to all my friends, lol.
Your gloves are great, perfect for the mom job. I'm a huge fan of fingerless mitts too.

Anonymous January 8, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

Great mitts! :)

Kathy... January 8, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

Great looking mitts or "Glittens" as I call them. I finally broke down and made myself some fingerless mitts last year (no coverup) and I wear them for my early morning reading. Love them....with a hot cup of coffee, a blanket, and a book. BEFORE the baby comes to my house....LOL :)

CelticCastOn January 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

love the mitten, that thumbs is a great idea. I actually saw a pair like that in a store for the first time last week, with the thumb covers I mean :)

Claudia Bugh January 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Such a great mitt! Love the thumb detail you added.

Leciawp January 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

My Mother in law sent me that video - very funny!! Great mitten.

Yarnhog January 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

I love the mitts! I keep thinking I should make some for my mom. She is a musician and often plays at outdoor venues where her hands get cold. But she has zero appreciation for handknits (ask me how I know), so it's hard to get excited about making something for her.

My car came with a heated steering wheel. We live in San Diego.

sweetp January 8, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

Great mitts. THat video was the funniest!! I was almost crying with laughter. So true , so true lol

Anonymous January 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

Love the mitten - it seems like such a practical idea! My leaving the house routine at the moment is to take a milk bottle of warm water out with me, chuck the water over the windows and drive off hoping that the water will not re-freeze on the windows. I didn't realise there was a 'car-health' reason to warm up the car - I might rethink my routine!

UK lass in US January 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

I've almost finished knitting my first pair of fingerless mitts - for when I'm knitting (my body seems to think that it belongs to a little old lady so my joints act up in the cold).

No cool flap on my pair, though. These are indoor mitts only - the weather outside is much warmer than in my house...

a friend to knit with January 12, 2009 at 4:52 AM  

those are PERFECT!!! especially on these colder days.....when i want my fingers covered!!!
love the thumb opening, too!

Annie January 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

Oh can I relate to that packing of the kids in the car! Ugh! I loathe that part of my day. Great idea for the thumb on those mitts. I know how frustrating those seat belts can be.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP