Finishing garments

>> Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I have finished the body of my sweater, one sleeve and I am working my way up the other sleeve. I started thinking about the finishing for this pullover when it's done and since it is knit in the round there is minimal finishing to be done. YEA!!


When I first started knitting I couldn't sew in my end pieces very well and wasn't real thrilled with any of the "finishing" aspects of a project. When I started knitting my first (and only to date) sweater it was for my daughter.


Really cute sweater, hood, and front pocket (I'll post some pictures later when I can get better light). The only big complaint is that it is knit in pieces and then has to all be sewn together at the end (that was not a fun night). By the way it was knit with 100% cotton yarn and of course didn't hide a thing. I was terrified that I would spend a lot of hours on this sweater only to botch the seams and then it would spend the rest of it's days in the back of the closet. So before I started finishing the sweater I looked for a book to help me along. This is the book I picked up




The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman




Anyway, as I said I picked up this book and LOVED IT!! It is spiral-bound so it lays flat as you read and knit. The instructions are simple and accompanied by clear photographs. It discusses casting on, binding off, increasing, decreasing, selvages, picking up stitches, buttonholes, and sewing seams with a few other odds and ends thrown in. It gives the pros and cons for each type and makes it very easy to decide which technique to use when given a choice in a project. The finished seams on my daughters sweater were fabulous (not because I have any particular skill but because the book was so easy to follow. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to clean up their knitting.



Now I'm off to hopefully finish my sweater and then we'll have the big reveal. Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous July 31, 2008 at 1:56 PM  

Hi Andrea

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Yes, I made the shoes forthe swap with Sweet-P. A great swap, I love the gloves she is sending me. What beautiful knitting here on you blog. I love the clutch purse you made (though I would'nt use one, too girly for me), anf the flower dishcloths are awesome, way too hard for me to knit. Want to do an international swap? I could make some shoes for you boy?

sheepish one July 31, 2008 at 4:12 PM  

I have that book, too, in hopes that one day I actually need to seam up a sweater that I decide is worthy of my time. ;-)

Philigry July 31, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

can not wait to see the sweater! I should get the book. i am really bad and seaming,a dn almost never do it. I always choose a pattern that is seamless...I am a wimp!

Ally Jay July 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

Can't wait to see the finished item. I love a book that will let you read it while you knit. So sensible

Kathy... August 3, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

Will be looking forward to seeing your finished sweater. I have looked thru that book, and agree that it is a good one to own.

I pulled out an Aran Pullover that I have been stalled on. We have a trip coming up in September. I am thinking about stepping up the pace and trying to get it done to take with.... Not sure it's possible, but may give it a go.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP