A Whole lotta WIPs

>> Thursday, January 27, 2011

In the last couple of weeks I have been suffering from an acute case of 'no finishing'.  I think since the holidays are over and everything has been put away and restored to 'normal' I just can't seem to really get the energy to finish any of my projects.  I started off all right but I have spiralled downwards into -let's start this and not finish that-.  So in an effort to spur myself to the finish line with all the various projects I have lurking around my house I am going to list them here and hopefully seeing it all laid out together will help me :)

First up is a cardigan for my son.  I have knit the thing three times and every time it doesn't come out right.  It is just a bit too snug for my liking and so I get to the point where all I need to do is weave in ends, add pockets, and a zipper and I frog it.....three times people....So now it sits and I just don't have the heart to frog it again but it is still just a bit too snug despite my meticulous measuring and measuring and measuring....


Next I am working on two little bears for my babes for Valentine's Day.  The knitting is easy, the pattern is free, the yarn was in my stash, but the seaming!  Oh not my favorite thing so still they sit in pieces...maybe this weekend.

A slouchy cardigan for myself.  Love the yarn, love the repetitive nature of all that stockinette, so conducive to movie watching, but like everyone else on Ravelry has described I just can't get my sleeve cap right so until I have some undivided time to sit and calculate it is languishing in my basket.

A quilt top.  I ordered some charm packs awhile back to attempt a quilt and they sent me an extra pack on mistake and when I phoned to tell them of the extra pack they told me to keep it.  So I am attempting my first lap-size quilt.  The top is 3/4 the way done I just need to finish that part up so I can measure and get backing material....

And if I didn't have enough going on I also started a sweater for my daughter.  I had the pink, the pattern is adorable and it is winter so what they hey?  I have nothing better to do right?

The one thing I have managed to finish recently is a small case for my little camera.  I have a beautiful Canon that I love shooting with but it is a bit bulky to tote around so last mother's day my husband and children purchased me this little camera.  It is the perfect size to always have with me at all times and has come in very handy.  All I needed was some bulky yarn leftover from a sweater, knowledge of moss stitch, and the measurements of my camera.  Nice and thick it is perfect to keep the camera protected in my bag. 

So now I think you all have a small idea of what my to-do list looks like and this isn't even complete....there are still a few things hanging out there.  Hopefully my weekend will include some much needed downtime to finish some of these items....what is on your to-do list?

16 comments:

Amy J January 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM  

I had to smile at your post....I was in the same boat, and just started the past few days to work through the wips ;) Love the sweater pattern for your daughter! Bought the pattern for my 6 yr old, but haven't gotten to the start yet.

Kar January 27, 2011 at 4:48 PM  

I really should stop making new things and really make an attempt to finish my scrap blanket. That is the one WIP that sits staring at me wondering when I will get my tail in gear and finish it. As soon as I stop finding so many other great things to make.

Love the pink for you daughters sweater. The pattern looks awesome also.

Trisha Jones January 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM  

That little sweater for your daughter is worth being on your to-do list -- it's very sweet and it looks very cozy. I should save that pattern away for my little niece.

I have a lengthy to-do list as well, and I'm not exactly sure I'm finished making it. Here's to finishing projects in a timely manner (or at all for that matter)!

Anonymous January 28, 2011 at 1:18 AM  

I definitely agree about the sweater pattern for your daughter. It is oh so adorable.

You should look at is positively. now that you have a few WIP's you have a lot to choose from !! You can never get TOO bored with one because you have variety. They will get done. soon. I am sure of it !!! And I cannot wait to see the finished product !

p.s I can TOTALLY feel your frustration about your son's cardi. I am going through the same thing with a vest I am knitting for my grandmother. OH THE PAIN

Leslie January 28, 2011 at 5:17 AM  

What a lot of beautiful WIPS! You are very creative. Christmas is so goal oriented that I felt a let down after finishing up all my gifts. I feel like I'm wandering in the desert with projects with no real direction. sigh

Andi January 28, 2011 at 8:40 AM  

You have some great projects going on there! I think all of us are having issues finshing projects letely. Let's all blame it on the holidays! :)

angela January 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

Sheesh! I'd have to do the finishing for a YEAR solid before I could start fresh. I've never counted how many I've started and not finished...they languish in old boxes and project bags and once in a while I go and find one to finish.

I've never even admitted how many I have on ravelry. Guess I have a real problem. Maybe I could tackle them once a month. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jane January 29, 2011 at 4:33 AM  

Wow you've been busy! Love the sweater for your daughter!

Jessica January 30, 2011 at 5:49 AM  

I have a bunch of wips too and none that are moving to completion too fast. That's my goal for the rest of this wintery season!

stitching under oaks January 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

I hear you...seaming stalls me every time. Love all your projects. Maybe you can gift the cardigan that isn't working for your son....then you'll be one gift ahead in your gift pile. That pink for your daughter looks scrumptious.

The WoodLand School January 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM  

I'm so, so relieved to know that other people have fallen victim to Multiple WIP Syndrome :-)

Like you, I would certainly be able to justify casting on that pink sweater -- it's just adorable!

Allyson January 31, 2011 at 1:06 AM  

Hmmm...the WIP list...let's see...a camel toy waiting to have ends woven in and ears sewn on, a blanket, another blanket (done except for the ends), a table runner, a doily, a baby blanket (in limbo because I need to frog some), some Christmas decorations (need to be sewn together), a pile of circles I was going to make into a cushion...eek! The list keeps growing

Larissa February 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM  

Love all the beautiful wool colors you choose! I'm reknitting for abigail too - I'm convinced we knit these sweaters too snug because we don't want to admit that they are growing up so fast!

I got that book too because i want to knit the slouchy cardi for myself - can you just borrow the sleeve cap portion form another sweater pattern? Please let me know what you end up doing.

Love the bears - they will be so loved.

Hope you are finding some quiet knitting time, A!

Renee February 3, 2011 at 8:10 PM  

..my finish list of to dos is long. sigh

Lovely projects, can't wait to see more of your quilt!

Anonymous February 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM  

I can help sort your problem with the sleeve cap for the slouchy cardigan, I too found this a problem, but if you visit the blog ''a friend to knit with'' Leslie Friend has the solutio. She has knitted this cardigan several times and has blooged about the solution to the sleeve.
Love your blog by the way!
Claire

Kristyn Knits February 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM  

you must be in project heaven!! with so many wonderful items in progress, you're sure to stay crafting. enjoy the process.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP