Being friendly with the sewing machine

>> Monday, January 3, 2011

One of the things I would really like to do this year is become better friends with my sewing machine.  We really only have a passing acquaintance at best.  Each October we come together for a passionate affair of costumes and when it is over we part and don't meet again until the following year.  I am constantly finding great little tutorials all over the Internet and I dutifully save each link with my little mantra of someday I'll make this.  Well this year I am attempting to actually chip away at some of these projects.  I have organized my favorites with a folder for each month of the year and I am putting in little projects to try and accomplish in each month.  I have given myself a maximum of 4 sewing projects a month, I'm hoping that by keeping my expectations of myself fairly low I can be truly dazzled at my industry :)

My first project is a camera strap.

 It is removable so easy to keep clean but the best part by far is the little pocket sewn onto the strap just big enough to hold my lens cap.  I am forever misplacing my lens cap.  It has been rescued numerous times from a back pocket of my jeans before being loaded into the washer.  Under sofas, on benches in the backyard.  When I saw this little tutorial I thought 'wouldn't it be nice to have a little pocket like that?'

 So I finally plucked up enough courage and made one.  Yes I know it looks like I am fabulous at sewing  :) but actually my seam ripper and I have a love affair of our own going on.  Don't worry the tutorial is simple, my comprehension drops a lot when I have to read sewing instructions.

  Voila....


Tutorial found here.  Super easy and fast. 

10 comments:

ColorSlut January 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

Great strap. I love the color!

Anonymous January 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM  

It's perfect! I'll definitely check out that tutorial because my sewing machine and I need to hang out more. I've been meaning to stop by sooner, but a belated happy new year to you!

stitching under oaks January 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM  

that is awesome! I need to try one of those...I too am always losing my lens cap. What an ingenius idea. Thanks for the link. I love your plan for working on projects each month. Sounds like a great year and look you're off to a wonderful start!

Leslie January 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

Fabulous fabric! It looks wonderful. You are going to enjoy that strap so much.

Larissa January 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM  

Love it! i, too, am a lens cap misplacer! How awesome are you that we're only three days into the new year and you've already checked one project off your list! now i'm inspired to organize my list of to-do's!

The WoodLand School January 3, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

Awesome! The colors are just wonderful ... and I'm sure it will be a treat to know where to find your lens cap :-)

Yarnhog January 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM  

So cool! I overcame my lifelong fear of sewing machines last year and it felt great. (Unfortunately, it also spawned a new obsession, leading to the acquisition of TEN antique sewing machines, but I'm going to focus on the positive here.)

Kristyn Knits January 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

LOVE you're monthly plan! From experience, I can tell you the month by month plan WORKS! So, I can't wait to see all of your creations this year. I got a new sewing machine for Christmas, so I may follow in your footsteps on a few projects. Love your fabric strap...and that pocket...GENIUS!

Unknown January 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

So pretty! You will soon be on a first name basis with your sewing machine. After that, it is just a few projects to BFF. I think your folders are a great idea!

Kate (KnitsInClass) January 6, 2011 at 9:26 AM  

I, too, have been wanting to get to know my sewing machine better. I keep seeing sewing projects I want to do - and know I can do - but am stalled out for some reason. 2011 is the year!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP