Swank

>> Friday, September 10, 2010

Amidst all the busyness of the end of summer beginning of fall transition there has been some knitting going on.  I finished this cardigan a bit ago but haven't taken any photos because I am not thrilled with how it turned out.  I have concluded that I either have a funhouse tape measure that is constantly misleading me or else any math skills I may have possessed (and there was a time when I prided myself on being very good at math) have abandoned me. 


My gauge is correct, I knit to my own size/specifications and still it is just too big.  Too big in a great for around the house watching a movie on the sofa kind of way but wouldn't really want to venture out into the world wearing it. 


I love the little details on it like the seed stitch cuff and bottom.  The ribbing that makes up the raglan sleeves.  Berroco Ultra Alpaca is very soft once washed and it is very warm.

 So should I keep it and just know that it will remain an around the house knit or should I scrap it and do something different?

By the way do you like my impromptu shawl pin to hold it closed while I took some photos?  A small stick from our yard.  I needed something and knew that if I went back inside I would be sucked into mom stuff and domestic duties :)


By the way do any of you have any pangs of embarrassment when someone spies you taking pictures of your knitting?  I heard my neighbor puttering around next door and immediately froze wondering if he had spied me.....is it just me or does anybody else have that moment of....hope no one saw me. 


All in all it is  warm and cozy and I will probably wear it around the house this winter. Before I forget here is the pattern link (free).   I'm not a fan of these photos so sister dear when you read this know that you are going to be phoned for the next photoshoot :)
Happy Friday to all of you!!

15 comments:

knithound brooklyn September 10, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

After seeing the pattern photo it all makes sense. Yes, you made the right size. The pattern is one of those with a ton of ease. So loose is the intent. Your knitting is fine! And the yarn/color is great, too. Maybe you prefer things with more shaping.

Renee September 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

I'd keep it for an around the house cozy wear. Love the colour.

Kar September 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

I agree. I think it's suppose to be a loose, drapey sweater. At least keep it and where it around the house. And don't hide from the neighbors when taking your pics. Be proud of what you like. :) I'm always out snapping pics of something around here. My neighbors probably already think I'm nuts.

xxxx

ColorSlut September 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

I'd keep it and just wear it around the house. Gauge stuff kills me. I've had this happen too often.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: September 10, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

At least you are still laughing and have your sense of humor.

I personally would not frog it. I have a sweater that's super oversized too and it's fabulous for walking the dog outside in the middle of the night or cuddled up on the couch. You said the yarn softened up after washing so as long as it feels really great on I wouldn't frog it.

BTW, I do love the shawl pin ;)

Charity September 10, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

Well, do you want/need a stay home, cozy kind of sweater? I think it looks wonderful, and very warm and lovely! :o)

Trisha Jones September 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

As some of my "project" photos on Ravelry show, I've got a tiny phobia of being watched or seen taking pictures of my knitting, too. The Ravelry pictures I post that have me modeling stuff, those are taken in our hallway bathroom with the door closed so my husband won't peer across the hall and see me. So, yeah, I'm weird about that too. Or at least, I feel like it's weird that I love knitting but it embarrasses me so much when a camera is involved!

Kristyn Knits September 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

I think you should keep it. I love the color and you may find you like the roominess. When I was in the park taking pictures of my scarf, I kept an eye on all those around me...I'm sure they thought I was weird.

Kathy... September 11, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

I have a very similar situation with my handspun sweater. It's totally done, and I am afraid, not loved too much. It's in time out, while I ponder it's fate. It happens. Saying this will not make things better for you, but it really does look nice.....and exactly as the pattern photo shows it. So, perhaps with time you will grow to love it.....?? A nice run errand wrap?

Andi September 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

Don't scrap it- it is quite lovely even if it is kept away from the public eye.
In regards to photos in public, yes I get that quite often. Especially when I take picture of my dinner at restaurants.LOL

Ally Jay September 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

It's so disappointing when a knit doesn't turn out the way you want it too. I think the coloour is gorgeous and if it's warm why not have it to snuggle into at home.

stitching under oaks September 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM  

I like it a lot and I'm sure it'll be one of those sweaters that you wear all winter when you need another layer in the house. Can you shrink it in the dryer a bit? Or try seaming in the sides with your sewing machine. If not, I'd still keep it, it just looks so cozy. And yes, I am sure my neighbors must think I'm weird because I'm always taking pictures of 'things' in the yard. My one neighbor just smiles at me when she sees me with my camera.

Larissa September 14, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

Your knitting is so beautiful and the color is awesome but I would frog it if you're not comfortable wearing it out. I had a too big sweater lying around for months and it drove me nuts each time i went in the closet - then one evening i frogged and was so glad it wasn't taking up precious closet space and that i had the yarn available for another project. I would use the wool to knit a more fitted cardi - cosmicpluto has some great patterns. And i was just looking at chicknits the other night - they have some very nice fitted cardi patterns that i'm considering for myself.

Your knitting is beautiful - and you should use this wool to make a sweater that makes you feel good about yourself! oops, just noticed you said you would like to wear it around the house - forget everything i said and just knit yourself a more fitted sweater out of different yarn - a perfect excuse to visit the yarn shop or webs online!

Hope you're enjoying your week and taking more photos that cause your neighbors to ponder - mine definitely think i'm weird!

Unknown September 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

I usually end up taking my pictures indoors. Even when I take them outside, there is no chance of anyone seeing me without binoculars. I don't think it would bother me, though. My knitting needles are simply extra appendages and I sometimes forget not everyone knits...

Woolly Stuff September 17, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

I would probably frog it if I were you, it looks like such nice wool, you might as well use it for something you'll love 100%.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do you block your swatch?

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP