My son

>> Saturday, June 26, 2010

Three years ago I was teaching myself how to knit.  I had purchased a DVD that had basic knit and purl instructions, some yarn, and a pair of plastic needles that came with the DVD.  I had a 2 year old daughter and was pregnant with my son and I had visions of handmade knits for all.  My grandmother passed away in 2003 and when she died I came home with a box of cream colored yarn.  No labels on any of the skeins just wound balls of yarn.  After I had mastered knitting and purling and didn't require the DVD in slow motion to knit some stockinette stitch I decided to use up the yarn and make a blanket for my baby to be.  Of course only the simplest stitches would do because I was a complete novice and I needed a project I could pick and put down while I chased after a two year old and battled bouts of morning sickness.  When the blanket was finished I washed and folded it and waited for the baby to put inside.

These are some photos I came across of my son Jack swaddled up in the blanket when he was days/weeks old.  The edge of the blanket has y/o increases and decreases and I threaded some blue ribbon through the the holes as a little edging on the blanket.  I quickly tore it out though when visions of choking ran through my head.

As I write this I am watching my son build a fort.  He ran over to me with the above blanket in hand and asked, "Mommy did you make this all by yourself?"  I replied yes I did and he then informed me that it is perfect (or as he says ferfect) but I need to fix all the little holes on the edge.  :)

Hope you are having a wondeful Saturday!

20 comments:

Peach Pod June 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

Wonderful story!

Thea June 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

Love that story! And the photos are adorable.

Chris June 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

Such a lovely story! And such a sweet little guy!

Woolly Stuff June 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM  

This is a great story. I love how the blanket is (literally!) a thread that connects generations and flows through time.

Also, those are the cutest photos ever :)

Cloudberry June 27, 2010 at 5:15 AM  

Beautiful story!

CelticCastOn June 27, 2010 at 5:44 AM  

What a ferfect post!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: June 27, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

What a beautiful story! That blanket is perfect ~ in every way :)

affectioknit June 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

The blanket is perfect in every way!

Sam June 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

That is such a sweet story. And beautiful baby pictures.

Kar June 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

What a sweetheart! You could just hug him all day. :)

Kate (KnitsInClass) June 28, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

What a sweet story! He sounds like a darling little guy- certainly a beautiful baby.

stitching under oaks June 28, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

I love the connection with the yarn and your grandmother. The photos are precious. Can you believe he was that small once upon a time? They grow up so fast. too fast.

ColorSlut June 28, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

Goodness what a touching story. Thank you so much for sharing!

Unknown June 28, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

Now ain't that sweet. I suppose you could put the ribbon back in the holes for him. And then when it is his super hero cape, he'd be able to tie it on. Yeah, I know boys + ribbon doesn't really work out...

Kristyn Knits June 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

I love the recollections you're sharing with us. I'm sure you're thankful you used the yarn to create something so special for your son!

Anna June 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

That is a gorgeous story, and those are gorgeous photos too! What a cutie your son is!

MadMad June 30, 2010 at 2:37 AM  

Awwww, so sweet - and that was BEFORE the story! The story just makes it that much more awesome.

amanda July 4, 2010 at 1:22 AM  

This is such a precious story. The balsnket is beautiful - ferfect! :)

Unknown July 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

I must be hormonal as this brought a tear to my eye!

Anonymous November 16, 2010 at 1:40 AM  

hahaha !!! How cute what your son said about fixing the holes on the edge of the blanket. That definitely made me laugh. Adorable.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP