Things I love right now

>> Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thank you so much for the supportive and encouraging comments. It helps to feel that I'm not alone in my knitting debacle and that there is hope I will turn the page and knit something that fits and looks good on me. That being said I have pulled out my knitting books that have information on design. The tape measure is sitting close by to take some accurate measurements of my body and I have a notebook with some notes on what kind of cardigan I would like. I really appreciate the advice from all of you.


Here is the cookie recipe from my last post. Where was my head? Picture but no recipe :)

1/2 Cup Shortening, 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, 3/4 t baking soda, 1 t. ground ginger, 1 t . ground allspice, 1/4 t. salt, 1/4 cup molasses, 1 egg, 2 cups flour, 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped (I used dark chocolate chips)

Beat shortening in mixer; add brown sugar, baking soda, ginger, allspice, and salt-combine well; Beat in molasses and egg; beat in flour; stir in chocolate. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes or until bottoms browned; cool on wire rack. Makes 36 cookies.

They can be frozen for up to 3 months so make a double batch and freeze for when someone pops over. Great with coffee!

Now here are a few things I am loving...
Google Reader has become my go to place for blog reading. It is set up through GMail and has saved me tons of time. Whenever a new blog has been posted it shows up in a list right in my reader. I then click and voila I am transported straight to your blog. It ensures I don't miss any of your blog posts.

Fly Lady , what can I say except my house is clean thanks to you. Thank you Erin for posting a link to her site. Part of my struggle with balance in my life has been the overwhelming task of keeping my house picked up and clean. I have to think I'm not alone in this battle. If this is something you struggle with as well go check out her site when you have the time. The Daily, weekly, and zone cleaning routines work like a charm. My stresses about the house being clean have vanished.

I know we are in the midst of winter and the holidays but I have a new love. The Anacapa Summery Aran Wrap from Knitting in the Sun. I found this photo of the wrap on knit picks and I love it. When I saw the photo on Ravelry of this pattern I had no opinion, but this photo.....it did it for me.

I don't currently own any shawls and last summer during my knit-a-long with the Elizabeth Zimmerman Almanac I opted out. But this....I really want it.

I'm also loving, Thea's fireside sweater, Chris' pinky goodness, Erin's birthday shirts, and Philigry's cardigan. Now I'm off to knit some more socks, tend to a sick child, and hopefully watch a snowstorm blow in...what does your day look like?

24 comments:

Thea November 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Hey, another thing you can do as you knit is pick a cardigan you already love, look for a pattern that's similar in shape and compare as you knit for measurements! Have fun and thks for the kind note on my fireside!

and snow? Wow! We're like 50 degrees here....

Gigi November 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

That cookie recipe sounds so good! Since I've made my pie commitment, I never have time for making cookies ;-(. Must change that now that real cookie season is upon us.
And love that shawl pattern -- so many things to knit, so little time!
Blessings,
G

Renee November 17, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

I love Thea's Fireside! Thanks for the link to Fly Lady, I'll have to check her out.
Happy Knitting and enjoy the snow - makes everything feel like Christmas is coming, doesn't it?

Chris November 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

Thanks for the links! I'm set in Google Reader too now. And thanks for the shout out! And I love Thea's Fireside, too! I'm in Canada and we don't have snow yet. It's kind of disconcerting.

Unknown November 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

I've utterly given up on a cardigan I had started to knit and gone back to blankets & cables. A good cookie does so much for the sole don't you think? ;-)

Kate (KnitsInClass) November 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

I love Google Reader too! (although I probably spend more time reading blogs than I should, and my list keeps getting longer...)

I used to follow FlyLady, but have fallen off the wagon - might be a good time to start up again.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: November 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

You mean I'm not alone in having an untidy house - LOL If I thought people's heart could handle it I would take a picture of my knitting room but I can't take the risk.

Love the wrap and if I was 7 years old again that pinky sweater would have to be mine :)

Kristyn Knits November 17, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Good for you for not giving up! Knit on girl!
and Flylady...a life saver! I found her a few years ago and love her philosophy!
My day was full of checking off tasks as we prepare to travel for Thanksgiving.

Woolly Stuff November 18, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

oooh, clean house, sounds interesting. I'll have to check. My day is... ugh... waiting for workmen to come and fix a damp problem. sigh.

Meg November 18, 2009 at 6:00 AM  

I should have commented the last time--but I too have knit myself two sweaters and I'm not loving the fit. I haven't frogged them, tho. I have so many pretty things saved in my ravelry favorites--I'm going to have to think long and hard about what I knit next.

And when I saw Philigry's cardi, I had to make a note of the pattern number--I have some knit jersey just waiting to become something!

Christina Scovel November 18, 2009 at 6:09 AM  

I don't own any shawls either and have been pushing myself to make one. I have a lot in the queue - but haven't cast on for one yet! :(

stitching under oaks November 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

enjoy the snow....there's none in our forecast. I love that shawl. I saw that book this summer and would really like to add it to my small collection of knitting books. I'm pretty stingy when it comes to knitting books I have to like several patterns in them before I'm willing to spend the money. That book had lots that I liked. I think a shawl is great because fit won't be an issue! Have a great day Andrea!

amy November 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

I also love Google Reader. And the day I figured out I could categorize the blogs? Awesome.

I'm currently baking my boys premade Otis Spunkmeyer cookies that my husband bought from a coworker who was selling them for his kid's school. I decided not to feel guilty. I can't even eat eggs at the moment, and I don't like to bake with eggs around the toddler, who is allergic. This way the boys still get warm cookies after school, and I'm not freaking out about the eggs. (And yes, it's WAY easier!!)

Jessica November 19, 2009 at 5:27 AM  

Thanks for the recipe! I'm making it tonight!

Heather November 19, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

Looks like a very yummy cookie recipe, that may go on the list for this week :)

I am not sure that we could survive without Flylad, she is the only reason that we have any kind of a clean home :)

A South Park Republican November 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

That wrap picture is a siren song! Makes me want to sit down and knit it RIGHT. NOW.

Imene November 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

The keeping the house clean is driving me crazy! It's an up hill battle! What is the method you are talking about?

larissa November 20, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

oh, I love all the things you're loving! those cookies sound so good and I used to read the flylady all the time - these days I just remember to keep the sink clean. thanks for the links to all those great sweaters - I especially love Chris' pink one. with all those great books you're sure to find a sweater that fits perfectly! have a great weekend.

Annie November 22, 2009 at 5:45 AM  

I'm with you on that house thing. I signed up for Fly lady's email. Now I'm going to go shine my sink :)

MadMad November 23, 2009 at 3:47 AM  

So many great links! Thank you! (I want to make Fireside, too...!)

mom December 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

I love the picture you posted of the wrap! I just got this book since my family is moving to puerto rico, and I needed some warm weather ideas. I think this is now on my project list!

Also, great link for keeping a clean house...it's one of my greatest stresses!

Unknown December 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

I think anyone with kids has the issue of keeping things picked up. I used the Fly Lady at one time, but I couldn't utilize it very well because I wasn't able to check my email all the time. I am glad it worked so well for you.

Ally Jay December 6, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

Great to hear you are undaunted and will knit on. Flylady seriously rocks.

Kristyn Knits December 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM  

Hey Andrea,
Just checking in to be sure you're doing okay. I haven't "seen" you lately.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP