November Socks

>> Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Thank you all for all your kind comments regarding the kids costumes. I have resigned myself to the fact that if I want to be a better sewer I have to actually sew more than once or twice a 'year. I am making a sewing queue for myself so that I can improve my 'sewing skills' (a term I use loosely) and maybe next Halloween won't be so bad. Anyway.....

The November knit for the Elizabeth Zimmerman knit-a-long is socks. I don't have a lot of sock knitting experience but I have my books and yarn at the ready and I'm not afraid of my small double pointed needles. I am going to try and knit a pair for myself, my husband, my daughter, and my son by the end of the month. Since my clasica coat is just awaiting a few more seams and weaving in the ends I think I can do it.

I am aware that October was socktoberfest but for those of you who are sock enthusiasts or you just didn't knit any up last month here are some patterns to try out (all free to download)


Absinthe for a try on cables and toe up construction. Some basic toe up socks if you just want to try it out without a pattern to contend with. Felted slippers to keep your feet cozy. Interlocking leaf socks to keep in the season. Pedicure socks. Baby booties. Socks knit flat for those afraid of double pointed needles. Socks for kilts. Ballet slippers. Toddler socks. Cabled socks. Evergreen socks. Two at the same time toe up socks.


Maybe a holiday stocking for a loved one.


Make your own: Toe up socks formula to design for your feet.


Fair isle legwarmers. Some delicate leg warmers. Cabled leg warmers. Argyle leg warmers. Good luck and if you join in drop me a line so I can post a link to your blog!

13 comments:

Kristyn Knits November 4, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

sounds like so much fun! but I've got this outrageous goal to finish my FLS by Thanksgiving. that will take up all my time this month. but thanks for all the links!!!

larissa November 4, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

those are some great sock knitting links! thank you. can't wait to see which socks you choose to knit for your family. I'm going to try to knit a big girl neighborly in the next week so that I can share the pattern. I am in love with the pumpkins you made with your kiddos - adorable!

Pom Pom November 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

I'd really like to actually complete a pair of socks. I'm going to try.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: November 4, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

Oh dear. Your list of socks sounds ambitious.... Of course, the children have small feet. Still... best keep that bottle of wine nearby ;)

Unknown November 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Thanks for the links...I promised myself I would knit some socks this year, but I just never got around to it. Socks are a bit intimidating, but I think would be the perfect thing to get started on to give as gifts...maybe in 2010!

Renee November 4, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Happy sock knitting! :)

Christina Scovel November 5, 2009 at 6:33 AM  

I am currently working on stockings .. and they go SO fast! You would just love it and find it very rewarding.

sheepish one November 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM  

as a sock knitting fool, i can attest that in my house, every month is socktober.
you have a treasure trove in those books. have fun with socks!

stitching under oaks November 6, 2009 at 4:47 AM  

I think I've caught the sock bug, so perhaps I'll cast on a pair for my little guy. I bought some yarn a couple of years ago for socks for him....now might be a time to start them. thanks for all the links!

Cloudberry November 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

So many great pattern you've linked to, and your yarn is beautiful! Can't wait to see which socks you'll knit up :)

Jessica November 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

I've never used just a sock recipe but I think my next pair will be made that way---I really want to learn/understand construction of knits!

Heather November 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Those look like wonderful colors, so many fun projects to chose from. Thank you all those wonderful links

Ravenhill November 12, 2009 at 2:25 AM  

wow, thank you so much for the wonderful sock links! There are so many amazing patterns out there it is hard to pick one sometimes. I often have 5 projects going at a time but am trying to discipline myself a bit there... Happy knitting to you!
~Emily

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP