Earflap Hat with Tassels

>> Tuesday, March 17, 2009

First I want to thank you so much for all the wonderful book selections. Some we knew about and others were brand new. It will be so much fun exploring new books with my kids and re-exploring the ones I read a million years ago! We really appreciated it.

On to knitting....
Winter is just about over in most parts of the country and everyone is gearing up for Spring weather and spring knits. I however am on a quest to ensure we have enough winter accessories for our summer ventures. We camp a lot in the summer. It is either high desert or high mountains and while both offer beautiful daytime weather the nights can get very cold. With that in mind I decided to knit up some hats for my kids with little ear flaps to keep them warm. I actually made my own pattern....


This photo shoot was punctuated with a lot of, "honey can you please stand still so I can take this picture?"

The answer was a "yeah okay but how about I stand up here and show you how I can hang over like this?"
Me: Great, just please hold still. Reply: I am holding still. I just think you'll like it better if I move over here and hang this way.
Many, many photos later we got some that actually showed the hat instead of just her hair whipping behind her. I was also instructed that the paint on her cheeks isn't just paint it's a shamrock drawing for St. Patrick's Day.
I used Cascade Superwash 220 and I loved it! It is soft and easy to work with and will hopefully keep the kids warm. I am already working on one for my daughter (this hat is for my son) in pink and purple because those are her favorite colors.
I have the pattern all typed up and ready to share as soon as I get approved as a designer on Ravelry I'll post the link.

20 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: March 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

It's absolutely gorgeous! I'm so impressed that it's your own design too ~ that's very cool.

I'm sorry but I'm no help on technical issues. Maybe you could search the "blogger" help forums?

Like you, I believe cold nights even in the Spring/Summer can warrant woolly clothing!

Woolly Stuff March 18, 2009 at 1:46 AM  

Really cute hat, and really cool that you designed it yourself! I can't wait to see what you design next :)

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM  

So sweet! And just look at that hair!

Kate (KnitsInClass) March 18, 2009 at 6:08 AM  

I'm so glad you're going to post the pattern! I was thinking that I needed that pattern as soon I saw it - my boys would love hats like that for the coming winter (and that's how long it will take me to get around to knitting them).

I'm with Mr. Puffy - try the blogger help. You should post it to Ravelry too - I think it would be a big hit.

affectioknit March 18, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

I love that hat!

Philigry March 18, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

i love this! so sweet and great colors.

Jessica March 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

I have a request for a 'hat with those ear things'- yours turned out great!

Renee March 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

What a super hat! Well done designing and knitting it.

I really like your blogger header by the way!

Chris March 19, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

Super cute hat! I'm so happy to have discovered your blog! Thanks for commenting on mine!

Mary March 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

Those colors look so pretty with her hair!

The Wooly Wumpus March 20, 2009 at 3:27 AM  

I love earflap hats and look forward to seeing your pattern on Rav!

Ally Jay March 20, 2009 at 4:18 AM  

It's totally fab.

a friend to knit with March 20, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

oh my gosh! that is FABULOUS!
thanks for sharing the pattern!

Evy March 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

I love the hat!

Reminds me of the one I got for my ski trip this year, but this one is hand made and that makes it so much more special.

Kathy... March 24, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Lovely hat....as is that gorgeous red hair underneath!!

Congrats on designing your very own pattern. It is truly quite lovely!

stitching under oaks March 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

wow! I'm so impressed with people like you who can knit their own patterns. The hat is great. Sounds like our photo shoots. :)

Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM  

Love the photoshoot conversation! She sounds like such a character! And the hat is really gorgeous.

Jane March 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

Love this hat! So cute!

Cloudberry March 28, 2009 at 12:46 AM  

Great hat! And the model has some beautiful hair!

Hadley Makes March 30, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

Lucky little lady! That hat's fabulous.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP