Jack Hoodie

>> Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Finished in time for the end of winter here is the Jack hoodie. Aptly named since my son is also a Jack.
First I want to acknowledge that it is too big for the kid but that was done on purpose. It seems overnight my children grow a size in clothing so I knit this one size up in the hopes that he will still fit in it next winter.

I will definitely knit this again. It was very fast and easy. The stockinette was a bit boring but since it's so small it goes quickly. The pattern shows the hoodie knit up in rows of color. Next time I think I'll do that. I did an all blue version this round because I had the yarn in my stash and wanted to use it up.

Last summer when I first started blogging I got a teensie bit obsessed. I found so many beautiful blogs full of beautiful knits that much like the first flush of any new love I went out and immersed myself in it. I bought patterns, magazines, knitting books, and yarn. Mind you my yarn stash is probably hysterically small to someone like the Yarn Harlot but I don't want a lot of 'extra' lying around. I have enough to clean and keep track of with my kids so I really only want enough yarn around to work on a few projects at a time. So the first part of 2009 will be whittling away at my stash until the baskets I have on a shelf in my closet can contain it all.

I want my knitting in 2009 to teach me new things. With this pattern I stitched in my first zipper and I learned that I don't like doing it :)

I knit the hoodie with Nashua Handknits Creative focus superwash, the key word being superwash. No way am I knitting a hoodie for a toddler that has to be hand washed because it would never get worn.

The pattern is the Jack hoodie and can be purchased here and raveled here. I used size 6 circular needles and made the size 4. Knit all in one piece to the arms the hood is knit separately and attached after (would alter this next time).

17 comments:

Thea February 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

Jack's sweater is adorable - I'm with you on the sizing, too. I've knit a few sweaters out of Cascade Sierra for my girls way big and they've loved them for about 3 years now - It'll be sad when they finally grow out of them.

Good luck with the stash plan - I'm on the same one. Also, love that alpaca long cardigan - I use the Ultra Alpaca pretty often and haven't had the pill problem as badly, but on my Duster, the butt gets pilly from sitting and the forearms - I use a disposable razor - carefully and lightly. Works great.

Anyways, figured it was time to 'visit' your place - great blog!

Yarnhog February 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

That is so cute! I'm a big believer in making clothes for kids a size too big--it takes me that long just to convince them to wear the thing.

And you won my Small Victories contest! If you'll send me your snail mail address, I'll get your prize right out to you. See my blog for my email address. :)

Karen February 25, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

Oh what a cute sweater!! I did notice right away that it was a bit bigger and immediately thought "that's one smart knitter - he can probably still wear it next year too". :)

Kathy... February 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Love the Jack Hoodie! You did a great job. I have been thinking about a hoodie for BG, but I already have the "Wonderful Wallaby" pattern, so may use that one. A zippered one would be easier on and off however. But then....there's that sewing in of the zipper issue. Hmmmmm.... I have never done that either. No fun, huh??

Claudia Bugh February 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

The jackets fantastic and you are one wise mommy to knit a size up. He can certainly wear it now and it will last him through next Winter as well!

Well done on sewing in the zipper. I need to tackle that myself someday. Also wise to knit from stash. I'm going to be doing that myself this year.

CelticCastOn February 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

Awww so cute! It will be the perfect size next year, i'm sure it will get lots of use.

amy February 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

Very cute! I felt the same way about sewing in zippers when I made my son a Tomten, but about a year later I found myself doing lots of sewing, voluntarily. Go figure. :-)

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

I love your hoodie! And kudos on the excellent zipper work!

I like your idea of managing the stash. I think there are lots of us on yarn diets in 2009. You know you're in trouble when the stash outgrows the storage bins!

Renee February 25, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Jack's sweater is the perfect versatile knit for an active boy!

Well Done on the knitting and the stash busting!!

Cloudberry February 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

What a sweet hoodie!
I knit my kids jacket, sweater and pants in superwash too. Why make it hard..?

I've got plans to knit up some of my stash to this year. So hopefully I can treat myself with some new yarn at the end of the year ;)

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous February 26, 2009 at 4:03 AM  

So cute and snuggly! Don't blame you for making it in the larger size. Nothing worse than having all that hard work outgrown in 2 months is there?

Haley February 26, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

Very cute! I also always knit big and easily washable. I'm still scared of zippers, but have to get over my fear as I really want a zippered cardigan for myself. Any tips?

Annie February 26, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

Sweetness! Great idea to make it larger. They grow so quickly.

Mary February 27, 2009 at 5:18 AM  

Adorable hoodie! The zipper looks great! I'm totally with you on the sizing issue. Very smart!

Unknown March 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

oooh I love it. I love the big hood too. Knitting one size up definitely sounds like a grand idea.

Jane March 3, 2009 at 6:06 AM  

I always knit up, that way you don't feel as sad when they grow out of it, Great work. I still haven't tried a zipper.

Sue March 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

Jack's hoodie looks great. I love the stitch definition too. I always knit my daughter's knits 12 rows longer in length as she seems to grow non-stop. She is only 7 but seems to be the height of a 9 year old so it wouldnt last too long if I knit it to the length in the books. I must say that some acrylics are really great for kids knits too, and a few of my faves are Cotton Ease and Smoothie DK yarns as they seem to wash well.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP