General musings & a sweater

>> Wednesday, September 3, 2008


I'm ready for a change in the weather. This picture was taken last fall in the mountains near where I live and I'm ready for this scenery. I'm done being hot and I want to have the weather that goes with all the cardigans and pullovers I have queued up in Ravelry. I spent the majority of last night perusing patterns and clicking favorite on a lot of them. Is anyone else overwhelmed at the amount of projects they have queued up or listed as a favorite in Ravelry. I wonder if I'll ever knit them all up or not but I just keep finding more I like. By the way I am "athomemommyknits" in Ravelry so please look me up. I have a pathetic amount of friends (three) so I would welcome more :).


I also decided to share with you a sweater I knit last fall. My very first sweater to be precise. The El Sol Pullover was the first sweater for myself. This is the first sweater I ever attempted and it was for my daughter.



It is from a pattern out of Family Knits by Debbie Bliss. It is the hooded guernsey and you can find it on Ravelry here. I didn't use the Debbie Bliss Cotton DK yarn I found something comparable.



It was purposely knit one size larger than she normally wears because my kids grow like weeds.




These pictures are from last winter. I had forgotten about it until I was getting her closet cleaned out and organized the other night. After the El Sol debacle I thought it might be nice to show something that did turn out and is wearable, even if it is from last year.

I also wanted to share a website that I stumbled upon that has great yarn prices. Smiley yarns is a great yarn store and they had fantastic prices on all different yarns. I want to make each of my kids a sweater this fall but somehow I can't get up the nerve to spend between $75-$100 on yarn for a fifteen month old let alone have to hand wash or dry clean it. I just can't justify it, but at the same time I don't want to knit something for them with cheap yarn (note: not inexpensive yarn cheap yarn-you all know what I'm talking about) because then it just screams "homemade sweater" and not in a good way ;). When I knit a sweater I want people to see the sweater first and foremost and then realize that I knit it. Does this make any sense to anyone? Anyway long story longer, this website had some great yarn at great prices and I ordered some right up at what I think are reasonable prices to knit the kids a sweater each. If any of you know of other places to get good yarn prices please share.

4 comments:

sweetp September 3, 2008 at 5:49 PM  

I love your daughters sweater - lovely style!

And yes to the ravelry queue thing. I try not to look at how many pages there are

Anonymous September 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM  

That sweater is adorable!

Mary September 5, 2008 at 2:58 PM  

That sweater is adorable. I can't believe that was your first handknit sweater. It came out great!

Philigry September 5, 2008 at 5:33 PM  

beautiful sweater!
I am ready for fall too!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP