Knitting as a diversionary tactic

>> Monday, April 13, 2009

One more little piece of Easter and then we will move on. My mother-in-law made these little nests with my daughter for our brunch. How cute are they? 2 cups of butterscotch chips melted with 1 cup of peanut butter. Mix melted mix with 2 cups of crisyp noodles. Scoop onto parchment paper and use the spoon to hollow out your "nest". Fill with malted eggs and voila....cute and delicous! They also made some with chocolate chips instead of butterscotch chips. Easy, cute, and fun! Next year make some.

I lied....one more thing. You couldn't have possibly thought that I would let a holiday go by and not make another house. We have them at Christmas, and Halloween so of course we had an easter house.

Now, we all know how knitting can fill so many categories depending on what you need. Creative? Check. Meditative? Check. A great way to watch TV at night and still fill productive? Check. Showing love for the people around you? Check. But have any of you used it as a diversionary tactic? I just came off of a fun holiday weekend but as with most holidays it was full of family. Not just my own family of origin but in-laws as well. Now I'm not here to tell any tales but I have to say I used my knitting. Shamelessly even.

Friday night after the kids were in bed the wine started flowing and sometimes conversations took an uncomfortable turn. No yelling, or raised voices.....just conversations that I didn't' want to participate in. Can I tell you that never in my life has stockinette stitch and weaving in ends required more attention. Thank goodness no one around me knew how to knit so I had no fear of being caught. As conversations took a turn here or there I just buried my head in my knitting and offered noncommittal mmhmm's occasionally and "Oh I didn't hear you I have to really concentrate on this part." This technique has earned me many a free pass out of situations/conversations I have no interest in being a part of it. One more reason to love knitting!
Hope you all had a fantastic Easter weekend and I have some finished pieces to show off this week. The weather is supposed to cooperate today (with snow by Wednesday) so I'm off to bribe my little red-haired girl with jelly beans to do a photoshoot.

7 comments:

affectioknit April 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

Happy Easter - I love the little house - what a good idea...

The Wooly Wumpus April 13, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

Thank goodness for knitting! It has helped me navigate some awkward situations, too! Love your Easter house!

Mary April 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

Happy Easter! Knitting is great in so many ways!

Woolly Stuff April 13, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

I'm with you there, on the knitting as escape from uncomfortable conversations - I'd never thought of it, but I'm going to try it next time!

Philigry April 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

i love that little house. it is so cute. will you save it, or eat it?

Alisha April 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM  

Oh I think I have to make those even though Easter has past....how cute!

I love the house....so sweet.

That sort of knitting is called selective hearing knitting ~wink~ Glad the knitting got you through it all!

amanda April 16, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

I want a path like that to my front door! :D

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP