Not about knitting

>> Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My household has been in a bit of upheaval these past few weeks. Right after the holidays my husband had shoulder surgery due to some leftover sports injuries made in his youth. As a result his right arm has been confined to a sling/brace and any activities that require two arms/hands has been prohibited. It is nothing serious and he'll be just fine, it just means a bit more work for me. He can't drive among other things and as a result I have added chauffeuring him around to my list of activities. I'm sure you can imagine how crazy that makes things. Knitting and blogging and such have all taken a bit of the back burner so to speak. I wanted to do a quick check in with everyone but since I don't have much in the way of crafting I thought I would share with you a list of 75 Books Every Woman Should Read: (In bold are the books I have read so far...looks like I have a ways to go :)

The Lottery (and Other Stories), Shirley Jackson
To the Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton
White Teeth, Zadie Smith
The House of the Spirits, Isabel Allende
Slouching Towards Bethlehem, Joan Didion
Excellent Women, Barbara Pym
The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys
The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
Beloved, Toni Morrison
Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert
Like Life, Lorrie Moore
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
The Delta of Venus, Anais Nin
A Thousand Acres, Jane Smiley
A Good Man Is Hard To Find (and Other Stories), Flannery O'Connor
The Shipping News, E. Annie Proulx
You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down, Alice Walker
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Fear of Flying, Erica Jong
Earthly Paradise, Colette Autobiography, Robert Phelps
Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt
Property, Valerie Martin
Middlemarch, George Eliot
Annie John, Jamaica Kincaid
The Second Sex, Simone de Beauvoir
Runaway, Alice Munro
The Heart is A Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers
The Woman Warrior, Maxine Hong Kingston
Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë
You Must Remember This, Joyce Carol Oates
Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
Bad Behavior, Mary Gaitskill
The Liars' Club, Mary Karr
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, Betty Smith
And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie
Bastard out of Carolina, Dorothy Allison
The Secret History, Donna Tartt
The Little Disturbances of Man, Grace Paley
The Portable Dorothy Parker, Dorothy Parker
The Group, Mary McCarthy
Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi
The Golden Notebook, Doris Lessing
The Diary of Anne Frank, Anne Frank
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
Against Interpretation, Susan Sontag
In the Time of the Butterflies, Julia Alvarez
The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck
Fun Home, Alison Bechdel
Three Junes, Julia Glass
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, Mary Wollstonecraft
Sophie's Choice, William Styron
Valley of the Dolls, Jacqueline Susann
Love in a Cold Climate, Nancy Mitford
Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. LeGuin
The Red Tent, Anita Diamant
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
The Face of War, Martha Gellhorn
My Antonia, Willa Cather
Love In The Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Harsh Voice, Rebecca West
Spending, Mary Gordon
The Lover, Marguerite Duras
The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
Tell Me a Riddle, Tillie Olsen
Nightwood, Djuna Barnes
Three Lives, Gertrude Stein
Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons
I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith
Possession, A.S. Byatt

13 comments:

Mary January 27, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

Sometimes knitting and blogging have to take the back seat. Hope your husbands arm is healing well.

Lara January 27, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

I hope your husband is doing well. I can't imagine adding another person to drive around!

Thank you for the book list. I am going to book mark this page. I am always looking for great new books and this is a great reference!

Renee January 27, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Hope your husband in healing well.
When life happens less knitting and blogging is to be expected. Hope you get chances to relax and unwind some!
Thanks for the book list ~ I'm not read many on there either!!

Yarnhog January 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

That does make things harder. When my dad stopped driving, my mom about went crazy.

I've read 26 of those books. Considering I have a degree in literature (from Harvard, no less), I suppose I should consider checking out a few more of them. Nah. It would cut into my knitting time.

Claudia Bugh January 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

Shoulder injuries are a bad problem to have because the recovery period is so long. As an ex-tennis player I know about these things! Make sure he gives is a long rest.

If you like The Good Earth then you might also like So Big by Edna Ferber. Don't why it doesn't make these lists!

Woolly Stuff January 27, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

hope your husband feels better soon!

Maybe the silver lining is that when you get back to knitting and blogging you'll EXTRA appreciate it? :)

Annie January 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Well wishes to your hubby.
I think it should be 76 books...including Twilight. Every woman needs an Edward in their head :P

olivia January 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM  

Okay, so I think this confirms you'll be choosing our next book for book club! :)

Anonymous January 29, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

Hope your husband heals quickly and is back behind the wheel soon. Thanks for the book list too. I'm really trying to get back into novels at the minute as I've hardly touched them since I started knitting 2 years ago. It's nice to have some recommendations.

UK lass in US January 29, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

I hope he has a swift recovery.

I've got a long way to go on that list, but at least a few of my books waiting to be read are on that list. I'll have to make a note of the others.

The Wooly Wumpus January 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

Hope your husband is on the mend! What a great post! Another awesome Joyce Carol Oates book is 'We Were The Mulvaneys'. Hope you will soon be able to get back to knitting and blogging!

Ally Jay January 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

Knitting and blogging will be there when you're ready to get back into it. Love teh book list.

Philigry February 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

hope you husband is feeling better. love your list. i used to read all the time before i started crafting. i need to get into it again. so enjoying.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP