Summer Accessories?

>> Monday, June 25, 2012

Hats are not usually my knit of choice.  I have recently found out that I have quite a small head.  Despite having shared DNA with a brother who we nicknamed Charlie Brown, on account of his rather large noggin, I have a small head.  Maybe even 'circus' small.  My kids (who are 5 and 7) can almost share hats with me.  Maybe this is why I embraced the big curly hairstyles of the nineties with such gusto.  To create an optical illusion for my rather puny head.  Either way most hats seem to accentuate this problem instead of disguising it.  I am going out landsailing for the fourth of July and while during the day the temperature in the middle of a dry lakebed, in the middle of the desert, is sufficiently hot enough to want me to shave the aforementioned small head, the nights are frigid.  Tank tops and shorts are gratefully traded in for down parkas, wool gloves, and hats.  This makes the campfire that much more enjoyable because while you are cooking your s'more you are warming yourself as well.  Anyway....back to the hat.  The Hinagiku hat was just what I needed (a free Ravelry download).  Snug at the bottom with all that lovely slouchiness at the top to create the illusion of a proportionate head :).


I don't have the tags for this yarn....just something I had stashed.  I didn't knit the pattern up as written.  Instead of the daisy stitch for the crown I just did moss stitch.  K1P1 for two rows and then P1K1 for two rows.  It looks very close to the Daisy stitch but it is a lot simpler.  Other than that small alteration I knit it up just as written.

Now while taking these photos I realized that I have a bit of sun on my shoulders from a weekend at the lake.....and I'm wearing a sundress and hoping the wind will die down so we can go swimming later...let's pretend that its winter and I'm heading out for a sleigh ride with my new tres chic hat.  A hat that is warm and comfortable.  Now if you were blessed with a head that is just the ride size, lucky you, don't be put off my this hat.  I assure you it will look good on any size head....I had my kids try it on and they are of the "charlie brown head" camp.  :)

Happy summer knitting!

8 comments:

Mr. Puffy June 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM  

You are absolutely adorable!!!! That hat suits you beautifully ~ I love the pic of you showing your pretty eyes :) PS I am also self conscious about having a small head, although I had forgotten that until you reminded me whaaaaa LOL

Prairie Girl June 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM  

Love. This. Hat!!!

I too live in the small head camp - I can try on kids hats and know how they will fit my 4 year old. And aren't baseball caps so hard to find?!

I'm definitely adding this hat to my queue and I love your mods.

Enjoy landsailing - that sounds über fun!

Yarnhog June 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM  

I think your head is perfectly lovely. ;)

My family calls me "pinhead." They all have huge heads--so huge that, when my boys were babies, I couldn't even get the shirts with the snap shoulders over their enormous noggins. Everything had to fasten up the front!

Larissa July 2, 2012 at 7:20 AM  

You look so cute in that hat and the purple color looks great on you! Have fun landsailing(?) - I need to google that right now.

Sam July 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM  

Wow that looks great on you. My husband calls me his little pea head. So maybe this is one I also should cast on :0)))

Jane July 11, 2012 at 4:44 AM  

Cute hat! Love the color! I have a sweater to take pictures of and just dread putting it on in this heat. Maybe today...

Unknown July 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM  

I have a small head, however..that .doesn't mean a pea brain! Love the hat.

stitching under oaks August 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM  

that hat is wonderful and I love how it looks on you. The color is great too! thanks for your kind words on my grandmother's passing...they were very comforting. It's good to be back and catch up!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP