My summer....

>> Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The last time I checked in here summer was just getting underway and the fourth of July was just around the corner.  Now I am speeding towards the final lap of August and looking towards fall.  While autumn is my absolute favorite time of year I am still working to soak up this last bit of summer.  A month from now both of my kids will be in school.  Avery in first grade and Jack in preschool.  For the first time in seven years I will have regularly scheduled alone time.  Granted it's only 6 hours a week but still.....what will I do?  I'm looking towards this next chapter with equal parts excitement and sadness.  Since I am still home with both kiddos I don't really have anything creative and earth shattering to share with you.  The pool, beach, mountains, and trails don't lend themselves to much crafting.  Baseball games for most would be a great time to take needles in hand and work on some small projects.  But for me baseball games are a healthy dose of family time, socializing with friends, and helping my kids with workbooks, color books, reading, and whatever projects I have managed to stuff into my bag of tricks to help us stay at least through the seventh inning stretch.  But with all the fall patterns books coming out and Halloween decorations creeping onto retail shelves I have a foot in each season and I have finally settled on my first cold weather pattern to work on.  Aidez.



I am going to rip out my swank cardigan.  It turned out just as the pattern promised and the yarn is incredibly soft and cozy but I just don't ever wear it.  Since Berroco Ultra Alpaca is pricey as well it seems a shame to have a cardigan languishing in my closet with no one to love it RIPPPP....I am going to cast on for Aidez.  A pattern I come back to again and again.  I think this one will be worn so my afternoon plans are going to be watching my kids play in the "pool" and wind yarn. 


Next my two reads this summer have not been novels but rather cookbooks.  Jamie at Home is quickly becoming a family favorite.  When I made the Guinness pie with puff pastry lid my husband nearly cried....it was that good.  Besides all of the amazing recipes from his show he also has gardening tips for all the vegetables showcased in the book.

Around my French Table.....what can I say except that everything looks delicious and the few things I have made did not disappoint.  I have made her recipe for sweet and spicy nuts multiple times this summer and have yet to have an event where I haven't given the recipe out.  I am looking forward to cooler weather when a roast chicken in my oven sounds a bit more attractive.

The one project that has taken up my time is putting together a family cookbook for us.  A girlfriend of mine started this little book for me to keep my recipes in and I am finally organizing all my clippings and notes and everything.  And my name is spelled Andrea, Andra was an inside joke at the time.  And the man at the grill is supposed to be my husband....he brings the red hair gene to our family :).
In one place will be our tried and true recipes.  A quick reference of the recipes I have stolen from cookbooks that I make again and again with my changes.  My goal is to put it all together and photograph my dishes as I make them...you know like a real cookbook :).  The next few weeks will be busy and lazy both so I'll be in and out but hopefully I'll get back in the creative swing and have more to share.  I hope you are all soaking up your summers as well!  XOXO Andrea

13 comments:

Amy J August 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM  

I'm there with you on the kiddos in school...mine are the same age/grade as yours...with the youngest being in preschool for the first time. What to do with 6 hrs/ week??? And like you, I go back and forth between excitement and sadness...the sadness may stem from how excited he is to be going to school ;)

Spinster Beth August 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM  

Yikes! Frogging a finished object? I don't think I'd have the nerve!

I love autumn more than any other season, even more than anticipating the spring planting of my vegetable garden. I love the cool weather.

Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

Prairie Girl August 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM  

I have to admit, some days the idea of having all my kids in school is so enticing...but still so far off. I'm trying to enjoy these years because I know they'll be over far too quickly, but some days a little peace and quiet to read a book or knit sounds utterly divine.

As for knitting - I think your Aidez is going to look phenomenal in the Berroco. I can't wait to see it finished!

Enjoy your remaining days of summer :)

Chris August 10, 2011 at 6:41 PM  

I look forward to seeing your Aidez! I agree - it's a shame to see good yarn sitting unworn in your closet. Have a great August!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: August 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

Love your choice of sweater ~ that's on my wish list too! I did smile when you said your husband almost cried when he ate your steak and guinness pie. I know just how he felt - LOL

Two Cables and a Frapp August 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM  

Such a lovely post. Congratulations on your new schedule though bittersweet. The cookbooks look lovely, I should take a look at both. Kudos to you for taking down your sweater to make the Aidez. I have a few skeins of the Ultra Alpaca but have yet to use them. So soft.

stitching under oaks August 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM  

Summer has a way of flying by! Enjoy your last few weeks. Sounds like lots of wonderful memories were made over the summer.

Kar August 12, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

I have a sweater that I'm just not in love with anymore. Maybe I should rip it all out and make something else. That way I wouldn't feel so bad about spending the money on the yarn. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

Andi August 13, 2011 at 6:58 AM  

Stinks that you have to rip out swank, but I agree if it doesn't get worn, then what's the point. Now Aidez in that Berroco, I can't wait to see it. Enjoy you remaining days of summer. :)

Maryse August 14, 2011 at 7:08 AM  

You seem like a busy bee! Like the cookbook idea, it's much more personal than a computer folder ;-)

Linda at Circular Needles August 16, 2011 at 8:34 PM  

Saying goodbye to Swank and reusing the yarn is a sensible idea. But I think I'd need to ask a friend to frog her. It would be too hard to do it myself. Isn't it amazing how quickly the stitches come undone when they took so long to knit in the first place? I hope you will be happy with Aidez.

Best wishes to you and your family as the children head off to school and you transition to a new stage in life.

Larissa August 31, 2011 at 7:10 PM  

Enjoy knitting Aidez - it's such a beautiful sweater. I also love reading cookbooks and coming up with new meals to try. Such a wonderful idea to create your own cookbook, complete with photos! Cannot think of a better gift to pass on to your kiddos when they're older.

Kristyn Knits September 7, 2011 at 7:24 PM  

Sounds like your summer was wonderful, and I'm sure your school year will be full of new adventures! Six hours a week! Can't wait to see how you shine!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP