Some wintertime brightness

>> Tuesday, February 8, 2011

With all the wips in the last post you would think I would have some finished knitting to show wouldn't you?  Well you would be mistaken.....not a bit has been touched :).  First I wanted to share some lunchtime goodness with you.  I saw this and thought maybe I should make it for myself for lunch. I'm not much of a citrus person  but I know it's full of vitamin goodness.  Since there seems to be a new strain of cold/flu going around my daughter's kindergarten class each week I thought it might be a good idea to do get some more B vitamins pumping through this body 'cause no one wants mommy to be sick.  It is non-fat cottage cheese with a clementine and half a grapefruit sliced up...with just a smidgen of agave nectar to cut the tartness.  Delicious!!


Next up a little baking because we can't have too much health food right?  Be sure to munch on some pecans while you are cooking to keep your energy up :)  Slice and bake shortbread yummy.



Beat 1 cup softened butter in mixer until creamy. Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar and beat till smooth. Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and 1 cup of finely chopped toasted pecans. Gradually add flour mixture (2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, and 1/8 tsp salt) beat till blended. Shape dough into 2 7inch logs. Wrap each log in wax paper and chill 4 hours or freeze in ziploc for up to 1 month.  Preheat oven to 350, cut each log into 24 slices and place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool completely on wire rack. Enjoy!!


Now how to enjoy just one or two cookies?  Well after I saw these mugmats over at Lisa's blog I really wanted to make some for myself.  I am on the home stretch of finishing my quilt and when I pieced the top together I realized I had four little squares leftover.  So I made them into a double coaster perfect for an afternoon chai tea pick me up and a portion controlled snack of two cookies.


No binding on this little guy just top stitched all around.  But the colors are nice and springy and with the overcast sky outside it does help to brighten my afternoon.  Now I'm off to finish a few more projects for Valentine's Day...have a wonderful week!

15 comments:

affectioknit February 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM  

Oh my - those cookies - I may (definitely) just have to veganize those...

Trisha Jones February 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM  

oh dear. i'm not gonna get anything done now. must make these guys.

The WoodLand School February 8, 2011 at 5:38 PM  

I had no idea that shortbread was so easy to make!!! I think I know what I'll enjoy for tomorrow's afternoon snack :-)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: February 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

I love grapefruits ~ such a satisfying citrus flavor. They are nice in salads too!

Your pecan cookies look yummy with a cup of tea ~ a perfect afternoon snack. Enjoy :)

Leslie February 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM  

Yum, the citrus & ccheese looks yummy. I like doing that with pineapple but have never thought of citrus fruit. I like your cute mug, too. It looks like just the right sort of cuppa to me. =)

Charity February 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

Oh, yum, that cottage cheese and fruit looks delicious!

I love that double coaster, what a nice idea. :o)

Anonymous February 9, 2011 at 8:30 AM  

Great ideas all around in this post! Love the cookies. Love the cottage cheese and citrus. Love the mug coaster. Love it all! =)

stitching under oaks February 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM  

we used to have cottage cheese and fruit all the time when I was growing up...that looks so yummy. And shortbread. ah. love it. Your double coaster is adorable. Perfect for winter snacking. always great to see what you have going on. Have a wonderful week.

Kristyn Knits February 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM  

Have you tried cottage cheese and apple butter? It seemed to be my college staple if I didn't like what was being served in the dining hall. Or how 'bout cottage cheese with a small amount of the dry Hidden Vally Ranch dressing mixed in for a healthy dip for veggies. Can you tell I like cottage cheese? he. he. Love your mug mat! Happy Valentine's Day creating!!

Ally Jay February 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

Those cookies sound so tempting. Hope you get round to some of the WIPS.

faith76 February 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

Will have to try the recipe out for the cookies. Loving the mugmats - so glad that spring is round the corner :)

Sam February 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM  

Thanks for the shortbread recipe... yum, yum, yum I'll need to test that one out :)

Renee February 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM  

Citrus, cookies, chai tea and quilting - all my fav things - great post, Andrea!

Andi February 12, 2011 at 6:54 AM  

That mat is perfect and adorable. Being a huge coffee drinker and mug lover, I like your coffee cup!

Unknown October 28, 2015 at 5:58 AM  

黑蒜
黑蒜功效
黑蒜沖泡飲
黑蒜粒
黑蒜飲

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP