My lazy tomato sauce

>> Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I am about to admit a disturbing truth about myself.....I hate tomatoes. This statement is terrible for a myriad of reasons the least of which being that I am 1/4 Italian. A sacrilege I know and one I have lived with my whole life. With this truth though is the knowledge that while I hate said fruit I also know they are extremely healthy. So in an effort to be healthy I have to hide tomatoes from myself. Yes, much like you would disguise healthy food for your children I find the need to do it to myself. So I faithfully grow tomato plants every summer and have a huge bounty. My kids eat them, I share with neighbors and friends. When those avenues of distribution have been exhausted then I make my lazy tomato sauce base.
Lazy Tomato Sauce
First get together a few pounds of tomatoes, and if you are fortunate to have some fresh basil and oregano handy then cut off some of that as well.


Wash and chop the above ingredients and add in a diced onion.  Throw them all in your crock pot and cook on low for a few hours

Turn off the crock-pot and let the mixture cool a bit. Then put the mixture through a food mill. Glop (when you are doing this with two kids running around you because they don't want the dragon to get them you are glopping, not gently funnelling, glopping) it all into jars, Tupperware, whatever you have and freeze. Now as the temperatures cool and more one-pot soups, stews, chili's, and casseroles make there way into our evening meals I will mix this little lazy sauce in. That way I can reap the summertime nutrients without having to actually "eat" them. Voila!


~Andrea

11 comments:

stitching under oaks September 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

what a great way to use them up! (and not have to actually eat them whole!) Thanks for sharing. Crock pots are great aren't they!?!

Prairie Girl September 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

I've never thought to make tomato sauce in the crock pot - sheer brilliance! Thanks for sharing :)

Claudia Bugh September 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM  

I'm shocked!!!! How could someone (Italian no less) not like them - LOL Your tomato sauce looks delicious. Have you tried eating them the Greek way? Slice them up, drizzle them with olive oil, cracked pepper, salt, and fresh basil.

Andi September 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

Oh for not liking tomatoes you sure made them look delicious! Never thought to put them in the crock pot like that, going to have to try. :)

Maryse September 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM  

By looking at your yummy pictures, I never would have thought it was a post about not liking tomatoes ;-) I looove them!

UK lass in US September 23, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

If it makes you feel any better, I am an English woman who does not like tea...

Kate (KnitsInClass) September 24, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

I happen to love tomatoes - although seem incapable of growing them... I eat them about any way I can and love them fresh (Mr Puffy's Greek tomatoes have me drooling...). However, I also love a great tomato sauce - thanks so much for sharing it!

Leslie September 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM  

What a great idea! I love my crockpot and one of the great joys of life to me is to find new ways to use it! This might be a sad statement about me, but a true one. =D

Mellie September 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

The irony is funny. I absolutely love tomatoes but I cannot stand tomato sauce for some reason! That doesn't stop me from making it for the rest of the family that eats spaghetti at least once a week. Making it in the crockpot like this is a great way for me not to have to spend hours smelling it ;) Thanks for the tip!

Kristyn Knits September 27, 2011 at 1:21 PM  

I'm not a fresh sliced tomato eater either. Your sauce looks like a perfect solution! and what a great harvest you had!! Looking forward to seeing more of your new knit!!

Unknown November 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM  

Delicious! I can't wait to try this!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP